Support for X3 (TC/AP)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Support for X3 (TC/AP)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    djbruno
    Participant

So I found some old threads related to X3, but it seems no one was able to properly use VorpX with X3. Why is the game listed in the supported games list, when it isn’t?

I’m trying this with the Steam’s X3TC veresion, and here’s the progress that I have made so far:
    1) Edit the res.dat file, and add a line for the 9:10 resolution:
    1080;1200;
    2) With VorpX closed, launch the game and select that resolution and windowed mode in the launcher. The game should be running fine, except for the weird aspect ration resolution.
    3) Set on the game properties on steam the following launch options:
    -noabout
    This will effectively skip the launcher and avoid the launch loop that happens when VorpX tries to inject itself too early.

If you open VorpX now and launch the game, it will “try” to initialize, but for me it doesn’t work. X3TC.exe throws a dialog with title “Steam Error” and content “Application load error P:0000065432”. If you inspect the threads on the exe, there are two that apparently execute for a while before dying:

f4805a42-0.tmp!CreateDXGIFactory2+0x2dd50
    f4805a42-0.tmp!Direct3DCreate9+0x1a660

I assume that the DX/DXGI initialization failed due to the hook that VorpX is placing in DX.

The EgoSoft developers for some reason included the d3dx9_37.dll file in their folder, even though they are including the DX runtime that includes _37 (Mar 2008). The digital signature matches Microsoft, so it was not modified in any way, just distributed incorrectly in my opinion. I tried also renaming that file out of the way so it would the system’s DX dll but the same error happened.

Ralf, since you mentioned that VorpX used to work with the demo, are we missing something? Has one of their updates broke the compatibility? Which comes back to my original question, is this game really supported?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I will have to check that, thanks for the heads up. The profile for the game was added very early on before the first vorpX release 2013. Never touched it again afterwards, so not impossible that a game update broke something.

Another option would be an injection conflict on your PC. Please try to close everything that potentially also hooks into games: virus scanners, GPU/CPU utilities of any kind, video recording/streaming softeware and generally everything that can show notofocations in games.

djbruno
    Participant

Well, VorpX injection is working for other games. The only other 2 DX hooks that I can think of are the Steam overlay, and NVidia’s GeForce Experience (which I’m not sure if it’s even a lower level hook).

I’ve disabled both and it still didn’t work. I’ve also reconfigured to run fullscreen and it also didn’t work.

General question regarding VorpX: Should we always try to run games with it at 1080×1200? Does that map to a 1:1 pixel resolution on the CV1 after VorpX does its viewport manipulations?

I don’t know exactly where you guys are hooking into DX to create the individual viewports for each eye. I’m assuming its not only at the Present() (DX9) and then doing changes to that buffer.

Half resolution (one eye) would make sense if you are just translating the view in the second eye. But I noticed that even on games like GTA V, the recommended resolution is 1280×1024, which is not 8:9.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The best possible resolutions quality wise would be about 1400-1500 pixels high. All headsets render at a higher resolution than their display res to compensate for the lens-predistortion. If you are after the best possible quality, choose 1920×1440 (or an according 8:9 res if you want to do that).

Just be aware that VR needs MUCH higher frame rates than normal gaming. Rendered in stereo most newer games will not provide a high enough frame rate with such a resolution. At the end of the day a high frame rate is more important than image quality for a comfortable experience.

Using the recommended 5:4/4:3 resolutions makes your life easier while still providing most of the advantages of a custom resolutions. They are recommended for three reasons:

1. Not all games work well with unusual aspect ratios.
    2. They are easier to handle since they don’t have to be added manually.
    3. They leave some room for vorpX’s custom timewarp when you turn your head.

djbruno
    Participant

I will have to check that, thanks for the heads up. The profile for the game was added very early on before the first vorpX release 2013. Never touched it again afterwards, so not impossible that a game update broke something.

Ralf, its being a while since you last mentioned that you would have to check the X3 profile. Had you had a chance to do it? I noticed another user still having issues with the game crashing on start up.

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s fixed for the next vorpX version. The issue is exclusive to the Steam version of the game, if by any chance you also have the GOG version, you should be able to use that one right away.

djbruno
    Participant

Oh, that’s great to hear. Unfortunately I own most of my games on Steam, and do not have the GOG version. I look forward for the new version :)

ericmueller
    Participant

Hi,

when is this next version going to be available?

i literally just bought VorpX because the x3 was listed as supported… i have the steam version of the game.

djbruno
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I just tested X3 with the new version. While the game doesn’t crash anymore, I’m not seeing anything really in 3D. Is Z-Buffer 3D actually working? I was also hoping head tracking would move the look direction, and not the mouse itself. Is the profile as of now very basic?

tathunder
    Participant

Did anyone get X3 working well? I tried it but the way the tracking works makes it feel very uncomfortable. Has anyone tried it with a cockpit mod, would that change the way the tracking works at all?

djbruno
    Participant

Not as well as I would have liked. Which sucks… we now have X4 (Rebirth) that natively supports VR (and sucks as a game), and X3 with no support (and is a great game).

tathunder
    Participant

Is there anyway the head tracking could be changed, so it isn’t locked on the mouse but instead uses the range set by the numpad keys(the default keys used to look around the cockpit)?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!