System shock 2 black screen on launch

Homepage Forums Technical Support System shock 2 black screen on launch

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    debonairferret
    Participant

It seems like it is hooking, I’m getting the “press any key” prompt and I can hear game audio but I’m getting a black screen. Suggestions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Works fine here with the Steam-, GOG- and an old DX9-modded CD-version.

But I’m not sure what “press any key” prompt you mean, unless you mean the Oculus health and safety warning. Didn’t encounter such a prompt when starting a new game or loading a savegame except for the Oculus warning screen right after start.

Are you using maybe yet another version? If not: could you describe the exact steps how to get this prompt?

debonairferret
    Participant

yeah its the Oculus health and safety screen. I’m not sure that I have the dx9 mod working correctly, it seems to be but I’m not sure how to tell.

BuckleBean
    Participant

Funny thing, I just noticed this exact behavior with Thief Gold & Thief 2 last night. All 3 games use the Dark Engine, right? Just tried SS2 and yep, I have the same exact problem, so there’s definitely an issue. I want to say they were all working for me quite recently, but I can’t remember when I last booted them up. Could have been prior to the latest vorpx release, but I really don’t think so. What could have changed? I can’t imagine any of these games were updated. Has SS2 worked for you since the latest vorpx update? Only thing I can think of is gfx drivers. On Nvidia by any chance?

Weird stuff.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m still unable to replicate this unfortunately (also an nVidia machine). Neither with System Shock 2 (all three versions mentioned above) nor with one of the Thief games (GOG versions), using the latest public version of vorpX.

Could you try to reset your graphics driver 3D settings to default in the nVidia control panel? Just in case it’s related to forced AA or any other forced driver setting. In some cases those can make a difference. AA worked here though, but maybe it’s something else.

BuckleBean
    Participant

I reset my graphics driver 3D settings to default in the nVidia control panel and no luck. I don’t know when I’ll have a chance to try, but I’d be curious to know if rolling back the latest driver fixes it. It’s the only thing I can think of that may have changed since I last booted one of these games successfully.

BuckleBean
    Participant

OP, have you been able to resolve this issue? I realized I’d never have time (or the will) to roll back drivers until I found a stable one. Just curious if you’ve found a solution to the black screen problem. I still have it.

biggoldensun
    Participant

I got the same effect..
    When I start the game blind, I keep getting a black screen…
    Looks like its working, but no rendering…
    got a GeForce GTX980, i7 6700, latest drivers, win 10….

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately the issue is not replicable here, not even on a rather similar machine.

Could you please send a mail with the below files to support |at| vorpx com:

1. The vorpX.log from C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Temp
    2. From Your SS2 program folder the following files: cam.cfg, cam_ext.cfg, cam_mod.ini and and shock.cfg

Maybe trying the same configuration reveals something.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Good news: while doing something entirely different incidentally this could finally be replicated. Fix is working here, hopefully it will also work for you guys. Will be in the next update.

BuckleBean
    Participant

Good news: while doing something entirely different incidentally this could finally be replicated. Fix is working here, hopefully it will also work for you guys. Will be in the next update.

Hey, that’s great news! Though, I actually might be too scared to play SS2 in VR :(

debonairferret
    Participant

Sorry I missed the request for a log, but I’m very happy to hear there is a fix!

BuckleBean
    Participant

Can confirm SS2 & Thief 2 both working with new update!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t 100% sure if the fix would work globally.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!