The *best* resolution, once again. (and the related Zoom and FOV)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion The *best* resolution, once again. (and the related Zoom and FOV)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Marco
    Participant

Hi there, i am playing using 1920×1440 on Vive. When i set the 1:1 resolution and zero zoom i will lose vertical FOV as black (or “ambience”) bands will appear on the upper and lower portion of the screen. If i zoom in (lets say a level of zoom between 60 and 65) i will not see the bands, but i will be losing the left and right sides of the rendered image.

I wonder if there’s a better resolution option again or what’s your recomendations in terms of zoom and FOV when i want to get full picture according to what’s written above.

I have to send Vive controllers to assistance and that’s will be my chance to really focus on those classics i have been missing. Vorpx will rock my world, how amazing is to play through those masterpieces for the fist time in their best virtual shape.

Ralf
    Keymaster

“Losing” a few pixels on both sides with 4:3 resolutions is actually a good thing since these pixels are a reserve for vorpX’s custom asnyc timewarp. Without them black bars would slide in when you rotate your head fast and timewarping becomes apparent.

You can however use any resolution you want. If you don’t care about about a reserve for timewarp on the sides, you can also use the actual per eye resolution (1080×1200 for Rift CV1 and Vive) for example or anything with the same aspect ratio. Only thing you absolutely shouldn’t try are square resolutions, that will confuse vorpX in multiple ways.

For the sake of simplicity I would recommend to stick to 5:4/4:3 resolutions though. 1280×1024, 1600×1200, 1920×1440 depending on performance. Easier to handle than custom aspect ratios, you have the above mentioned timewarp reserve on both sides, and you avoid potential issues with games that don’t like non-standard aspect ratios.

Considering that, quality wise 1920×1440 is a pretty good choice, but depending on the game and your PC it may still not at all be the best resolution since without a decent frame rate the best image quality means nothing in VR. Finding the right balance between quality and performance is far more important in VR than for monitor gaming.

TLDR: unfortunately it’s impossible to give a one size fits all recommendation since the best resolution heavily depends on your PC, the game, the detail settings you use in that game, your personal tolerance for low frame rates and the timewarp thing mentioned above. All things considered 1280×1024, 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 depending on performance is a good rule of thumb.

Marco
    Participant

I am playing on g1 1080 and I5 6600k 3.5 ghz. I am not interested on Asynchronous Timewarp. Resolution is to me more important than in game detail. Therefore i understand you suggest me the following general configuration:

Resolution: 1920×1440, over 1080×1200 (or similar)

Pixel ration and zoom: PR to 1:1 and zoom enough to avoid any bars on the upper and lower part of the screen

FOV: With the above configuration, i should use the regular 120 degrees FOV with most games. Or zooming in as described above does require a different FOV value?

Thanks a lot, once this is clear i am really ready to go having overall perfomances close to native VR.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Set the resolution you prefer, then adjust the FOV accordingly. Depending on the game its right value may be linked to the aspect ratio of the resolution you choose. Another advantage of 4:3 resolutions is that you can easily compensate for a slightly too low FOV easily with the Image Zoom. If you want to use the exact screen aspect instead, you have to adjust the FOV exactly.

For some games that will be done automatically with Direct VR in the next vorpX version, but for others it won’t. You don’t really gain much by doing what you do. I obviously can’t (and of course don’t want to) stop you from doing that, but following the recommendation above makes your life a lot easier in multiple ways.

Marco
    Participant

What do you mean by “doing what you do”? Thanks :D

Ralf
    Keymaster

Trying to find the Holy Grail. ;)

Seriously: use a 4:3 resolution, adjust FOV to about 120° horizontically, if necessary slightly compensate for the rest with Image Zoom, and then have fun. Don’t overtweak. It’s easier than you may think if you don’t make it complicated yourself.

Marco
    Participant

Perfect, so i know i was doing everything right :D Do u have the same advices for Z-buffer 3D games? I wanna try playing The Witcher 3 that way.

Starbuck82
    Participant

Ralf, what about the virtual cinema mode? Are there any different recommendations for the resolution to use?

Ralf
    Keymaster

In virtual cinema mode I would always choose a 16:9 or 16:10 res. Widescreen modes just look better as cinema screen.

The following overall recommendation is a good rule of thumb:

Full VR:

1280×1024, 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 depending on game performance (45fps min. required for comfortable VR).

Cinema Mode:

Widescreen 1366×768, 1600×1024 or 1920×1200 depending on game performance (fps requirement not as strict here, but 45fps min. still make sense).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!