Thief

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    iloctus
    Participant

Is there a trick to getting Thief to work? ATM i’m seeing two images and horrible black smearing. In addition the Vorpx menu doesnt appear?

Anyone got thief (the latest one) working with it?

davidmi58
    Participant

If you are talking about Thief 2014, you are doing better than I am. I don’t get a stereo image at all. It is like Vorpx is not catching the game starting.
    Anyone got any ideas?

moarveer
    Participant

Are you creating a Vorpx shortcut? That usually helps when launching games.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ iloctus: The black smear is an issue with the DK2 OLED display. There is an option to fix this software wise on the display page of the vorpX ingame menu. Also please make sure to set the game to 1920×1080 for DK2, this may be the cause of your display issue.

@ david: besides what moarveer says, you may have to set the DK2 as primary display and the vorpX config app to “use system settings” display wise. That’s the most compatible option.

iloctus
    Participant

Got it working a bit better tonight, the black smear is still an issue for me however..you defo have to play around with the settings.

However, got outlast to work too.. holy shit..it looks great. Good job Ralf :)

davidmi58
    Participant

@ david: besides what moarveer says, you may have to set the DK2 as primary display and the vorpX config app to “use system settings” display wise. That’s the most compatible option.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ralf. I am pretty sure that I tried that. Tried a lot of things. Tried Rift primary. Tried shortcut. Ran the game @ 1920/1080. Tried running the x32 exe. It is like Vorpx can’t see the game running. Could there me a setting in the game that is causing Vorpx not to pick it up? I am not home right now so I can’t check but isn’t there something about “exclusive” full screen or am I thinking about something else? I also noticed something in the menus about stereo display. Could that have something to do with it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just it checked it here, using the exclusive fullscreen mode. Both 64bit and and 32bit worked simply by starting from Steam, no shortcut, not even Rift as primary display was necessary. Forcing to the Rift through the vorpX config app worked just fine. So I fear, I’m out of ideas in regard to your issue.

Little tip in case you can make into the game: The 64bit version doesn’t seem to show the vorpX cursor in the main menu, so 32bit will be easier to use.

maxpower
    Participant

it works for me pretty well so far. i had to restart the game and set all settings to low. but what kind of annoys me is that i think the distortion isn’t right. i can see the edges of the screen which breaks the immersion a lot is there any way to fix this. I used the settings suggested by vorpx.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just in case: Please check whether you use an Oculus profile in the config app. That is buggy currently.

Check whether the game is set to a resolution of 1920×1080

Also make sure to select the correct eye cup setting. Selecting A-Cups produces an image that fills the screen vertically completely and is much larger horizontically. Physically impossible to get more image space.

maxpower
    Participant

ok i simply reinstalled thief and the vorpx drivers now the screen is filled almost completly, works great! one other thing i discovered: there seems to be someproblem with the xbox wireless controller. as soon as i connect it the game starts “to look around ” uncontrollably and quite a lot, the game becomes pretty much unplayable. is this a known issue with any way around it ? sadly i don’t have another controller here atm to test if the problem occurs with every gamepad or only this one.

Dukealicious
    Participant

Mad an account to answer this one. Yeah this is an issue with the way the game developer supported 360 input on the PC. The bad news is that it wants you to use either mouse+keyboard or 360 pad. Vorpx uses mouse inputs for head-tracking so when you use a 360 pad it wigs out. Both Thief and Deus Ex: HR have this problem and I do believe they were both made by Eidos. Now this is not all games, plenty do play well with both inputs at the same time like the Crysis and Bioshock series. There is no ini or console command to disable the 360 pad auto-detect within the game and plugging it in after the game has started and using xpadder to map k&m commands to your 360 pad will not work either. Same goes for Vorpx’s own gamepad tool. I spent like 2 days trying to get a work around for both Thief and Deus Ex HR.

THE GOOD NEWS IS that you can use a non xbox360 gamepad and xpadder and control is restored. Newegg.com even has some knock off 360 pads if you want to keep the same joystiq layout for like 10$.

Or you could just go k&m but if you wanted to do that you wouldn’t have asked. Thief does come out to be a glorious experience though once you get it all setup.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX has a configurable gamepad emulation built in. It automatically takes over when you disable the gamepad in the game, so in most cases there should be no need to use an external tool. You still can, of course

Dukealicious
    Participant

In most cases yes and it is a wonderful tool but in Thief and Deus Ex HR there is no option to disable the gamepad. If it is plugged in and a button or analog stick is pressed then control shifts to the gamepad. In Thief it makes the screen shake all over the place. In Deus Ex it takes 2 seconds to switch to a different control scheme, If you are using the analog sticks headtracking will stop working while they are pressed and for 2 seconds after releasing them and then headtracking will be restored until you press the sticks again. If there are steps for Thief or Deus Ex to disable the gamepad and use your gamepad emulation with a 360 pad, could you list the steps. Right now I am using a Razer Hydra but would much rather be using a 360 pad.

Sorry for the wall text. This is only an issue with games where the 360 pad is auto-detected without an ingame option to disable it and the game doesn’t play nice with 2 control schemes. So far I only ran into this problem with Thief and Deus Ex. I am sure there will be others discovered though few and far between.

Thank you for everything Ralf. I am loving playing with my DK2 with vorpx. I went through the entirety of Bioshock Infinite with vorpx on my DK1 and it was my best vr experience and I am reinstalling it for uses on the DK2 now.

bcozier
    Participant

Thank you for everything Ralf. I am loving playing with my DK2 with vorpx. I went through the entirety of Bioshock Infinite with vorpx on my DK1 and it was my best vr experience and I am reinstalling it for uses on the DK2 now.

I spent some time playing bioshock infinite myself…I ended up disabling the dynamic shadows because apparently the game produced different shadows on the left than the right eye making some people and objects look a little wierd. There are still static shadows in the game so it wasn’t too bad.

I thought BIOSHINF was the shit until I tried Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, there are underwater sequences where you take over a sub and then turbulence aboard an airplane…you really need to give it a go. I actually liked it better than BIOSHINF. However it does have some minor display issues like for some reason while looking around you might see a ghost halo effect on the left or right of some objects…the same happens in Mirror’s Edge but the 3D effects are so good they are easily ignorable. Ralf, if you are reading this…will you be customizing COD MW3 and Mirrors Edge at some point so that they will be as good as Bioshock Infinite without those ghost halo outlines appearing around some objects, or is that a problem with the particular game engine?

maxpower
    Participant

Mad an account to answer this one. Yeah this is an issue with the way the game developer supported 360 input on the PC. The bad news is that it wants you to use either mouse+keyboard or 360 pad. Vorpx uses mouse inputs for head-tracking so when you use a 360 pad it wigs out. Both Thief and Deus Ex: HR have this problem and I do believe they were both made by Eidos. Now this is not all games, plenty do play well with both inputs at the same time like the Crysis and Bioshock series. There is no ini or console command to disable the 360 pad auto-detect within the game and plugging it in after the game has started and using xpadder to map k&m commands to your 360 pad will not work either. Same goes for Vorpx’s own gamepad tool. I spent like 2 days trying to get a work around for both Thief and Deus Ex HR.

THE GOOD NEWS IS that you can use a non xbox360 gamepad and xpadder and control is restored. Newegg.com even has some knock off 360 pads if you want to keep the same joystiq layout for like 10$.

Or you could just go k&m but if you wanted to do that you wouldn’t have asked. Thief does come out to be a glorious experience though once you get it all setup.

thank you for taking the time to answer. That sounds great, tomorrow a friend will lend me his ps3 controller so I will give it a try with that if that works I think I wil order one of your mentioned knockoff gamepads, guess that should take care of my gamepad problems in skyrim as well.
    thanks very much :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!