Tip: Fallout 3 with VorpX

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Tip: Fallout 3 with VorpX

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

I am currently playing Fallout 3 with VorpX. Even after the awsome FO4 experience i must say this game (2008!!!) looks so incredibly nice with vorpx, especially with the Fellout mod which removes the greenish lighting in favor of crisp colours and a blue sky. These ini settings my be helpful on random crashes. These settings will also improve FPS and minimize studder. Dont go too high in resolution though which may result in crashes or freezes. I found a resolution of 3600×3700 (Gtx108ti) working well. Push the VorpX sharpness slider all the way up to 2 makes the image look very clear. In my eyes no need for texture mods etc.

The Game (Game of the Year) with 5 add ons is currently 86% off Here

RJK_
    Participant

Correction: not 3600×3700, i meant 3600×2700. Though in the meantime i still encountered crashes. It looks like going down to 3200xx makes the game more stable.

jjensson
    Participant

With or without ENB?

RJK_
    Participant

This is only with the fellout mod.
    I forgot to mention that fellout requires fellout brighter nights or something similar to restore light settings at night. (fellout only makes the night pitch black).

Att German users: in the meantime i created a Speechmod that replaces the german wierd thinny male raider voices of the game with ones more aggressive.

RJK_
    Participant

Additional hints if you want to use this https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/12056 maximum texture pack and run in crashes.

This https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/21888/ Multicore fix seems to make the game more stable. I tested this with resolutions at 3840×2880 and it seems to work.
    I recommend changing your ini files manually in order to keep your FOV settings, just add the additional lines mentioned in the 4gB fix. Good luck.

moarveer
    Participant

I have to agree with this, I remember testing Fallout New Vegas, which basically is the same engine, with I think it was a California full conversion mod or something like that (it was a long time ago sorry), and the game looked incredible in Vorpx, I really have to work my vorpx backlog of shame at some point, but it just keeps growing instead.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Fallout 3 is definitely one of my top, if not my very top vorpX game. It just looks great and it runs very well in G3D at high resolutions. Thanks for the tip about the multicore fix. I’ll take a look at that. I’ve got a thread here somewhere that covers using the Fallout stutter remover etc, which may be necessary for many (Fallout 3 and NV had major stuttering issues when run at frame-rates other than 60 or 30, if I remember correctly). Other issues to avoid are frame-rates greater than 60, which will break the physics and can cause all kinds of problems (this issue persist through at least Skyrim and FO4). So you’ll want to use motion smoothing to double your frame-rate and lock your actual fps to 45/90, or 60/120 (for example). I lock it to 45/90 and that’s plenty smooth enough for me even in full VR mode (and it allows me to use UGRIDS=7, as that makes a HUGE difference to FO3’s otherwise extremely short draw distance.)

RJK_
    Participant

Havent had one crash since i installed the multicore fix above. Now with Ralfs incredible new sharpening you can spot distant details you never belived they were there. ( both sliders all the way up to max ). Uhh year good Idea with the UGRIDS setting looks awsome. Here now 65/82 smoothly with 3840×2880 and maximum texture pack on my GTX1080ti.

RJK_
    Participant

Just a quick note on the UGRIDS setting. The game crashed when saving with uGridsToLoad=7 and loading a savegame after resetting uGridsToLoad to 5. A value of 6 seems to work though.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Just a quick note on the UGRIDS setting. The game crashed when saving with uGridsToLoad=7 and loading a savegame after resetting uGridsToLoad to 5. A value of 6 seems to work though.

Yes, that’s a know issue with UGRIDS; you can find a fix through console if you really want to, it’s not too hard. uGrids must be odd numbers, 5 works, 7 works, but 6 is actually the same as 5, that’s why you can have uGrids=6 and still load those saves if you set it back to 5. IIRC anyway. Bethesda games require so much tweaking to really get them right that it’s hard to keep track! uGrids can also cause other random problems, so if you aren’t used to that then probably don’t set it to anything other than the base 5.

Are you using G3D?

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks ! Found a good hint on that here https://sites.google.com/site/bethesdasfallout3/ini-tweaks

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Thanks again for pointing out a couple of fixes I had not yet discovered. It looks like there are now ways to push the engine beyond 60fps without breaking the physics (caused issues, for example, with items flying about excessively, making it easy to lose quest items since they might fly off and become unfindable).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!