Touch Controllers

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Touch Controllers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rastamanjana
    Participant

Hi,

Could it be possible in the future aiming with the touch controllers instead of the oculus rift like in Doom 3 bfg or Serious Sam First Encounter VR ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

There were some experiments in this regard.

The catch is that vorpX cannot decouple aiming from the looking direction, that is important to understand first. No way to do that unless a game happens to support it anyway (almost no game does, only exception I know is Arma 3) or it can be done by a mod. Otherwise aim and look are always the same.

What would be possible is this: pressing a button could switch the controller into another mode (let’s call it “airmouse-mode”) where rotating the controller in space changes your viewing direction like the mouse normally does. Releasing that button would switch back to normal mode. Again: no decoupled aim, the whole viewing direction would change while you rotate the controller. Personally I found that quite neat, but some testers said it was disorienting, so in the end it was left out.

Maybe some of you could let me know their thoughts on something like that. If there are enough voices in favor of it, I might make it available as an option in the next update.

edo
    Participant

Definitely would like to see that as an option.

no1453
    Participant

Sounds like an interesting alternative control. I’m for it.

Rastamanjana
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!

Jklc
    Participant

Yes :It will be good as option .

enudrom
    Participant

Sorry for the necro, but I haven’t found much more about this and I think it would be an excellent feature, (and something Fallout 4 VR is planning to implement in a couple months.)

Ideally, holding the left trigger would allow for touch aiming as well as the in-game aiming/zooming. So as you held the index-finger trigger on the left controller (right mouse button,) you’d bring up the right controller to aim at the screen as the character brings up the gun to aim down the sights.

It looks like for Fallout 4 VR there isn’t even an aim mode, instead the left trigger teleports the player forward, etc.

DevlinDarkside
    Participant

There were some experiments in this regard.
    What would be possible is this: pressing a button could switch the controller into another mode (let’s call it “airmouse-mode”) where rotating the controller in space changes your viewing direction like the mouse normally does. Releasing that button would switch back to normal mode. Again: no decoupled aim, the whole viewing direction would change while you rotate the controller. Personally I found that quite neat, but some testers said it was disorienting, so in the end it was left out.

Maybe some of you could let me know their thoughts on something like that. If there are enough voices in favor of it, I might make it available as an option in the next update.

So I could press 1 button and look about freely and indipendantly with the HMD?

grumdark
    Participant

Definitely would like to see that as an option.
    Any of these possible options are welcome,even both mentioned in this thread.

if some evaluate that they do not like, these are not required to use optional features, but many of us, this seems like tremendous improvements, options and opportunities to do new things.

Personally, I want ALL the possible options related to the control modes, and of course, also with all possible modes of image rendering.
    (separate control of height and width for letterbox type modes) for example.
    All options are useful and welcome for many of us.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!