touch controllers for skyrim

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion touch controllers for skyrim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    alegse
    Participant

This is probably already here but I can’t seem to find it.
    I have finally ordered touch controllers.
    Can I use them for SKYRIM? I currently prefer to play with x-box controller. Can touch controllers simply replace the x-box controller?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, vorpX has a mouse/keyboard and gamepad emulation for Touch controllers and Vive wands. It’s freely configurable and the current mapping is always shown on the rendered ingame controllers, so it’s fairly intuitive to use.

alegse
    Participant

cool can’t wait to try.
    Also I do not want to see any rendered controllers in game.
    Is there a way to disable the rendered controllers or make them invisible?
    Floating controllers will break the immersion and probably interfere/clip with the 1st person body mod I use

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can choose between controllers + mapping overlay, just controllers, just the mapping overlay or nothing.

I would recommend to show at least the overlay until you have fully memorized the button mapping. That’s too great a help to dismiss it right from the start.

BTW 1: You may be amazed by how much being able to see any kind of hand-representation actually helps with immersion. Even controllers in a fantasy environment do the trick.

BTW 2: Next vorpX version will have animated hands as an additional visualization option.

prinyo
    Participant

Speaking of this, can I trigger the DirectVR scan and the pov re centering via the controllers?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can either assign the according hotkeys to the controllers or open the vorpX menu and then click the according button. The latter probably makes more sense in most cases since it doesn’t waste buttons that are better used for actual game actions.

prinyo
    Participant

So the next question is – how do I open the VorpX menu?
    My problem is that I can’t use the keyboard in my standing/room-scale space.
    I wonder if some things can be done with Voice Attack. Or maybe completely remapping the right touchpad because I want to block this way of rotation.
    I did manage to run DirectVR once and I had a problem where during a dialogue my view slowly shifted down to the ground and stayed like this for the whole time I was speaking to the NPC.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Opening the vorpX menu is hardcoded. To open it press the left and the right grip buttons. The current mapping is shown on the rendered controllers. It’s all pretty self explanatory if you take a look at the visualized mapping.

In case of odd Direct VR glitches (flicker, misplaced camera, falling through the ground etc.) please first and foremost try to disable the positional component of Direct VR if available. Shouldn’t be on per default in Skyrim anyway. The normal positional tracking will still work in most G3D games.

prinyo
    Participant

Cool, got it, everything works really well :-)

I have a problem with the Vive’s controllers design and the trend to make the touchpad react to touch and not press. Because when hold normally the thumb wants to rest there and this produces effects in the game I was not expecting to happen. But I guess that’s what the touch pad is for and as more games adopt this control scheme I’ll need to get used to hold the wands in a specific way.
    But that’s not really VorpX related. The only thing I’m wondering is if I can make the pointer for the VorpX menu react to wasd so I can get rid of the arrow keys completely.

Edit:
    After I posted this I realized it is not possible to remap the arrow keys. So I guess it is not possible to put key mappings on the right trackpad the way it is in Shift mode. There is only one button that can be mapped – by default Ctrl.

alegse
    Participant

WOW this works great!
    One problem
    The right grip button activates edge peak.
    Unfortunately I often press this accidentally just when holding the controller.

Is there any way to disable the edge peak button?
    Or is there any way I could map edge peak to another button that won’t get accidentally pressed all the time? Just the damn right grip is so sensitive and it is very annoying and dizzying when I keep slipping in and out of edge peak while playing. I only use edge peak for menus so I am fine only activating it from the key board when needed.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!