Trial version or demo videos

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Trial version or demo videos

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Manuel
    Participant

Hi,

I’m looking into buying vorpX, as I would love to play World of Warcraft in 3D.
    I have already tried TriDef 3D Ignition, where I got everything but head tracking to work (the reason I’m here). But before I buy I would like to see how well vorpX this actually works. When I move my head, how does it look?
    Also another VERY important point is that sometimes you have to read text and this text is usually glued to one of the sides. In TriDef 3D Ignition it’s almost impossible to read the text and the text that is glued to the side can only be seen with one eye (extremely annoying).
    So, how did you solve this issue? Do you detect that something is 2D text or do you allow the user to pan the oculus rift view (I.E. like the game is a plane that you are moving right or left)?

Since vorpX supports World of Warcraft, you must have tried it. If you could upload those videos to youtube then those of us thinking of buying these products can go there and take a look on our oculus rift’s. You have some videos up, but they don’t really show anyone playing the game, but just moving around.
    A trial version would also solve this problem (and let us feel secure that it will work before buying, especially with the amount of bug reports I see in this forum).

If this works, I will be in here to sign up in no time, very reasonable price! :)

Thanks,
    Manuel

peteski123
    Participant

It is very very limited in WOW when I tried it a while ago, In my opinion pretty much unplayable sorry to say.
    However Vorpx has an amazing way of being able to read and view the screen when needed called “Edge Peek, this allows you to zoom out and look around the screen to read, interact and view the menu etc.

Skyrim is fantastic along with quiet a few other games that make Vorpx a must for any Oculus owner but WOW was not one of these.

Regards
    Pete

Ralf
    Keymaster

WoW is not the best match for VR in general because it’s a third person game. It’s fun to walk a round and enjoy some vistas, but seriously playing it for hours is probably not the best experience indeed.

KristoferNathan
    Participant

Ralf,

It is not good to use 3rd person as a reason for why World of Warcraft is not working well with VorpX. There are a lot of 3rd person games built specifically for VR and they work wonderfully. Blaze Rush, Lucky’s Tale, and Toybox Turbos are all spectacular 3rd person VR games that play very well with the Oculus Rift. Even some games that were not built with 3D in mind such as Windwaker played via Dolphin VR work very well. There must be an issue specifically with VorpX compatibility that causes World of Warcraft to run poorly.

Manuel,

If done correctly, World of Warcraft could probably be a fantastic VR experience. The Rift MMO which is very comparable to WoW recently patched in experimental VR support and, while it needs a LOT of work, it displays the endless potential that both 3rd and 1st person MMOs have with VR. I hope that if Ralf decides that there is more that can be done for WoW and VorpX compatibility perhaps the program will support it better. If not, we will just have to keep our eyes open for a more ambitious developer.

Manuel
    Participant

It seems everyone agrees that WoW isn’t good for oculus rift (at least not in it’s current state).
    First thing, with respect to third person view, you can zoom completely in and then your actually in first person view (and with head-tracking.. could this be feasible?).
    Even if WoW isn’t very well suited for playing, you can still play to have fun and experience 3D :). Also, I would love to use oculus rift + WoW or similar fantasy game to convince my brain that I’m flying on a magic carpet, I am able to shoot fireballs, leap tall buildings and similar. You can also look at giant monsters in their full size and get a whole new perspective on the game, I have a couple of places in WoW that I would love to see in real 3D :).

You can also play in this first person view mode, just add handicap: go up against weaker monsters. Sure it’s not funny if you compare yourself to all the other players using a normal screen, but experiencing the fight in 3D would be nice or playing with a group of friends who are all using the rift.

Still, it would be nice with video of real gameplay (complete a mission), where you have to read and interact with text, level up (stats, skills, change equipment etc.). Or a trial could do this as well, as I’m still not certain how well this actually works.
    I just made a search on Youtube and the top videos for vorpx either doesn’t show 3d (two screens) or the guy just walks around. I did however find one that showed edge peek, looks very nice :) there goes at least some of my concerns.

atomdude
    Participant

where can i get a trial version of vorpx?

Megatonna
    Participant

I agree. We need demo driver.

peteski123
    Participant

I have had Vorpx since Ralf released it and I actually bought 2 copies because of his continued support and help with requested game profiles.

It works extremely well with so many games and with the newer virtual cinema mode it’s an absolute steal at the price, less than the price of a good released single game.
    In my opinion if you are serious about Virtual reality it’s a MUST BUY for the Oculus rift.
    Plenty of Videos of people on YouTube running Vorpx that you can enjoy through your own rift to see and enjoy the experience.
    If I liked what I saw I would buy it, If it wasn’t what I thought I would not, YouTube is your friend, try it

Regards
    Pete

Megatonna
    Participant

Thank you for opinion. Unfortunately, YouTube will not give the feel of a real game

peteski123
    Participant

I understand your concerns. But I would still say if you own a Rift you should own Vorpx if your a gamer.
    Can I ask what games you are wanting to play in the Rift?
    Regards
    Pete

Megatonna
    Participant

I want play all games amongst support list. =)

Karlor
    Participant

I get that people mite be sketched out on buying some dudes driver. In this case don’t be. Flat out if you want to actually use your dk2 you have to have vorpX. Buy it, learn it, love it. Without vorpX there would be no way to enjoy all the games you want to in VR. Oculus demos are cool and all but its amateur hour for the most part. Play all the great AAA games that are out now but in VR with vorpX.

peteski123
    Participant

Ok, what’s stopping you from buying Vorpx?.
    You obviously have a Rift, you know what the graphics look like from demo’s. If you like the feel of the Rift and you like the list of games supported, why not get Vorpx?.
    It’s Cheaper than going down the pub for one evening.
    I’m pretty sure if you can afford a Rift and the pc to use it then it can’t be a money issue ;-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!