Trick to get really demanding games working in VorpX with great FPS in G3D

Homepage Forums Technical Support Trick to get really demanding games working in VorpX with great FPS in G3D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    perkel
    Participant

The trick is to ignore steamVR and run games via Generic VR mode in VorpX. Via extended display and then send game window to your headset. You lose headtracking but in cinema mode you still have amazing G3D with great performance.

By default with SteamVR:
    – Monster Hunter World – 20-25 FPS – unplayable
    – Witcher 3 – ~30fps – for me unplayable

Withotu SteamVR:
    – Monster Hunter World – 50-60fps
    – Witcher 3 – Locked 60fps

BTW Ralf. Is SteamVR consuming so much resources normal ? All of those games run with G3D and 3D effect is amazing. Performance is almost as non VR conversion.

My rig Ryzen3600+GTX980

Ralf
    Keymaster

Normally the difference between SteamVR/Oculus and ‘Generic Headset’ mode should be about 10%, mainly due to the involved 2-step rendering with a custom ‘time warp’ (frame interpolation) implementation. Especially with lower framerates that has some advantages over sending the images directly to the headset from the game’s render thread.

So what you posted above looks fairly unusual to me.

BTW: Is Monster Hunter World still working for you? Another user notified me recently that the game has some hooking protection now, and I also couldn’t make it work anymore when I checked that prior to the last vorpX update (Steam version). Didn’t investigate further since I assumed it was the reported hooking protection that made it fail

dborosev
    Participant

Interesting if true. As someone who plays a lot of cinema mode games, this would be quite a boost for me.
    I haven’t had a huge need to boost my fps just yet, but good to know if I need it. My only wonder on this, is how loss of head tracking would be. For the most part, I know you don’t need it in cinema mode, but when I play I usually have the screen just outside my fov, so I still move my head just a few degrees left or right, which gives a real sense of true VR immersion. Having the screen glued to my face, I’m not sure how I’d like that…
    Good find though. Curious to see what others report.

perkel
    Participant

Monster Hunter does work right now. Maybe that user had selected DX12 ? VorpX works when you switch off DX12.

As for unusual.

SteamVR renders itself at full speed but game itself gets shot when it comes to FPS. So when i move my head around whole motions is smooth but picture on cinema display or another runs at much lower res. It is logical since headmovement should have priority.

Also those 10% is probably meant for cases where game is fps locked and you are not limited by anything. In my case non VR Witcher and MHW fluctuates between 65-75fps.

So imho SteamVR simply fights with game for resources and prioritizes itself over game. So motion in my head is smooth but game has to wait for steamVr thus probably some stalls.

Or at least this is what i think. You can confirm it by yourself btw. Just don’t run SteamVR use headset in extended mode and pick Generic VR in your vorpX and try to run witcher 3 or MHW you will see huge difference in FPS.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Like I said your results look pretty unusual, normally the difference should be about 10%. vorpX doesn’t just let the game and SteamVR fight for resources. That would be a fairly naive approach.

Thanks for the report though. I’ll check both games later this week, maybe something is wrong all of a sudden. I think I should have noticed that already, but who knows. If there is one thing I learned about VR runtimes since their first iterations, then that nothing is ever certain.

perkel
    Participant

This is something i have been using for like a year though. So it is not new or something that changed. And it is not only for witcher 3 and MHW. But pretty much for all games that have performance issues.

perkel
    Participant

Other game like that is Fallout 4. In G3D it runs at 20FPS via SteamVr but with Generic VR and no SteamVR it runs G3D locked 60fps

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks again for testing. None of that looks how it should look. Normally you would see a 10%, maybe 15% in some cases, difference between ‘Generic Headset’ and ‘SteamVR’.

Might be worth a shot to reset your vorpX settings as well as your SteamVR settings. I don’t really have a idea what might cause this for you, but your results are not how it should look. Also check whether maybe some performance related parameters have changed when switching between SteamVR and ‘Generic Headset’, e.g, the game resolution, that might for example be the case in Fallout 4 where vorpX sets the resolution and FOV automatically.

If you have all graphics settings cranked up to the max in the games you tried, it’s also worth a try to reduce them for testing, just in case your GPU runs out of memory with game+vorpX+SteamVR.

I’m moving this thread to the technical support sub-forum, I think it fits better there. Looks more like some technical problem than a performance enhancing trick.

I’ll check this and let you know if I can replicate the behavior somehow.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a brief follow up: Might well be related to graphics memory with your GTX980. I just tested Fallout 4 and on Ultra settings with Geometry 3D the overall memory required in SteamVR mode would exceed the 4GB of GPU memory on your card by ~500MB at a fairly low res of 1920×1080. That would become even worse with higher resolutions.

I’ll do some more testing later. For now I would recommend to not crank everything up to the max in case you did that before. Judging from the brief FO4 test maxed out memory on your GTX980 sounds like a reasonable theory.

perkel
    Participant

Did you try yourself switching from steamVr to Generic VR ?

My performance issues don’t seem to be related to VRAM. When you run out of VRAM usually what happens is that game starts to chug and stutter not that it lowers FPS consistently. I also did test a lot Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 before and changing setting to even low didn’t help. It improved performance overall but it wasn’t close to non SteamVr performance.

What is your performance in Fallout 4 or any of those games in Steam VR ? By comparing FPS we should be able to see if my performance in SteamVR in those games is actually normal or not. Because from what i read a lot of people have issues running G3D in Fallout 4 and by default even your profile uses Z-buffer, for performance reasons i assume.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, I did try that myself. Quite regularly since five years when SteamVR support was first added to vorpX. I also programmed both modes, so I’m well aware how they work, what performance cost is involved and why.

I understand that to you it must look as if you have found some great trick and I’m happy that it works for you. Your results however are not normal at all. Under normal circumstances the difference between ‘Generic VR Headset’ and ‘SteamVR’ is about 10-15%.

Your GTX980 only has 4GB, which almost certainly is not enough for modern games at cranked up detail settings without maxing out memory. G3D in itself requires more memory, rendering to the headset via SteamVR even more, so assuming that you hit some memory limited with your card in SteamVR mode is a reasonable theory.

My brief Fallout 4 test seems to support that theory, but of course it’s just a theory. Should I be able to replicate your findings later with other games, I’ll let you know.

steph12
    Participant

Other game like that is Fallout 4. In G3D it runs at 20FPS via SteamVr but with Generic VR and no SteamVR it runs G3D locked 60fps

this is an amazing find if working like you say.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Guys, I perfectly understand that you get excited when you read something like this, which is why I am constantly replying to this thread explaining that normally this is not the case.

I am closing this thread now before some urban legend arises that I have to deal with for the next three years. Sorry and thanks for your understanding.

Again: Under normal circumstances the difference between ‘Generic VR Headset’ and ‘SteamVR’ is about 10-15%. There is no magic trick to make G3D twice as fast. I wish there was and would be as happy about it as you, but there isn’t.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Trick to get really demanding games working in VorpX with great FPS in G3D’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!