Trojan Virus?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Trojan Virus?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BenUSA1
    Participant

I received this message :

Threat detected:Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.D5!ml

Affected items:
    file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX\vorpConfig.exe
    file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\vorpX\Configure vorpX.lnk
    startup: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\vorpX\Configure vorpX.lnk

is this part of Vorpx?

mb3000
    Participant

I also got this message.

Screenshot:

View post on imgur.com

mb3000
    Participant

My last update was today before I posted this message. I haven’t received this before using vorpx.

I’m not cool with it showing as a trojan and will uninstall vorpx forever if it’s not fixable. Not worth the risk to me.

If there’s a post I don’t see it.

BenUSA1
    Participant

Yah, false positive. There is a post and Ralf said to update window defender.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a false positive due to the way vorpX works (hooking into other programs). AV programs for the most part just guess. They rely on checking what a program does and if they find something they dislike, like hooking into other programs, they claim to have found something malicious, unfortunately most of the time without telling their users that they are actually just guessing.

If you happen to use a third party AV program the best you can do is switching to Windows Defender. Happens with Windows Defender too occasionally after an update, but unlike others at least Microsoft is quite fast fixing such problems.

Alternatively report this as a false positive to your AV vendor so they can fix the problem.

Also makes sense to exclude the vorpX program folder (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX) from your AV scanner.

markbradley1982
    Participant

How do you report it as a false positive with Windows defender? Or does excluding it already do that?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I usually do that myself if necessary for Windows Defender. Currently there shouldn’t be an issue, provided you have the latest Defender definitions installed.

Try a manual update check in the Windows settings app. That will also update your Defender definitions.

mb3000
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation Ralf. I use windows defender and I’m always up to date with updates so I don’t know why we (OP and I) both got this message and everyone else didn’t. Maybe they haven’t updated yet. :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!