Ubisoft games and alt tabbing out

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Ubisoft games and alt tabbing out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mazzle
    Participant

On my machine, if I alt-tab out of either Assassin’s Creed Odyssey or Assassin’s Creed Origins, vorpx will hang every time. What’s weird is that the game continues to be playable, but the headset shows a little window containing the title of the game and a pause symbol. Does this happen for other people?

(I noticed another weird thing with both of these titles. Perhaps, it’s related. After I quit either game while running vorpx, Steam thinks the game still running. To get it to recognize that the game is no longer running, I have to also quit SteamVR. I suspect it has something to do with Ubisoft’s cloud syncing, because immediately after I close SteamVR, a window briefly pops up saying it’s synchronizing my achievements with Ubisoft.)

Ogrescar
    Participant

That’s not uncommon and happens with a lot of games. You may be able to fix the problem by switching to borderless mode instead of fullscreen, or vice-versa. A lot of games will release the graphics devices when you tab out, which means that vorpx has to rehook them when you tab back.

You can encounter other weird behavior when you alt-tab out of a game, like you graphics resolution resetting to your desktop resolution and your window mode being reset. It’s best to avoid tabbing away from a game once it’s started so that vorpx doesn’t have to contend with those unexpected changes.

Mazzle
    Participant

I remember reading that some games need to be borderless to get a 3d effect, but I didn’t realize fullscreen could cause issues if the 3d was working. I suppose it does make sense. When it’s in windowed mode, the OS just needs to hide a window, but when it’s in full screen, it’s changing a monitor settings, which leads to things needing to be re-initialized.

If it’s not already obvious, your suggestion worked beautifully. After I switched AC settings to bordlerless, I can tab out without it crashing. Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

One thing you could try aside from using borderless or windowed mode is disabling the Uplay/Ubisoft Connect overlay. These overlays usually hook into functions that vorpX also hooks into, which in some games can cause issues like yours.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!