Unable to import ANY environment images

Homepage Forums Technical Support Unable to import ANY environment images

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Smoils
    Participant

View post on imgur.com

I get this error each time, tried different formats and all, nothing works.
    Manually creating thumbnail, settings file and dds texture in the 360 environment folder works, but automatic generator fails each time.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you maybe disallow apps to access your Documents folder, either in the Windows options or your antivirus program? Looks a lot like that. The final images are stored in [Documents]\vorpX. If that is the case, you would have to whitelist vorpConfig.exe and probably also every game that you want to use the backgrounds with later.

Smoils
    Participant

Vorpx is in antivirus exclusions and windows should allow them to do whatever, but if it works on your end I will see what can be preventing it from access to that folder.

P.S.: while Im at it using desktop viewer vorpx has and opening settings (del key) at least by default doest stop windows executing delete command, had few files trashed while going through settings and didnt even notice at first, plus while using keys to navigate vorpx menu it passes keypresses too.

Smoils
    Participant

Seems like Vorpx has no problem saving in C:\Users\…\Documents\vorpX\AuthorData though, but images I cant get to work.

Can you give me correct syntax for each type of [EnvParams] at least?
    Specifically ImageType=…
    for example if source image is cube cross, does it still have SphereLeft and right at the end to link to texture file?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s a bit more complicated, there also is an ini file that has to created, which differs depending on the type of background.

if vorpX can’t write to your documents folder, you disallowed that somewhere, trust me. one option would be the Windows privacy settings. If it’s not that, it pretty much has to be your AV program, although not necessarily the scanner part. It may (and probably will) have different exclusion lists for different things.

Smoils
    Participant

Ive tried everything there is with persmissions, sharing, taking ownership, adding av exclusions everywhere and disabling every av service and general protection etc.

Every program has no issue saving there, vorpx has no issue saving into another subfolder next to this one, environments I just cant get to work.

Pretty much gave up on it, if I feel like I really need one I will replace default one with similar type manually or add similar one unless someone saves an example of every image type there can be and shares it for me to manually add new ones.

Would be funny if there was a bug in vorpx itself with image saving to a folder containing space bar in its name (but yes, yes its a permissions bullshit windows has somewhere that Im unable to overcome).

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m thinking about moving the background images to some AppData folder anyway. Might happen in the not too distant future. Since AV programs, and now even Windows, allow some extra protection for the documents folder, using that has become a major pain in the back anyway.

Even if that should not be the problem in your case, every once in while there is someone who forgot they enabled this documents protection and then wonder why vorpX can’t write to the folder…

Smoils
    Participant

Good, you should make everything for worst case scenario anyways. I did have AV mess with vorpx hooking before because I didnt put it in exclusions for one particular system, while having it everywhere else and “disabling protection” button didnt even matter for that system.

It was driving me crazy since av let vorpx hook 1st time and then sometimes rarely when it av wasnt fast enough to stop it, while blocking all other attempts unless using inject dlls, but for image saving Ive tried everything i could think of and could google for the matter, not worth going crazy about it since I dont really use environments mostly anyway. Ambient and dark void are much better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!