Unreal Tournament 2004

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings User Profiles Unreal Tournament 2004

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

YEEAAR !!

Unreal Tournament 2004 (G3D)

To get UT2004 to run with VorpX You must manually enable the OpenGL Renderer in UT2004.ini . You find this in the same folder then then your game’s exe.

change this
    RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    to
    ;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

and
    ;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
    to
    RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

IMPORTANT : Before you do that start the game once and make your settings like resolution ect. Otherwise the game might crash while in OpenGL Mode.

I have uploaded two different profiles to the cloud, one with a resizable HUD (this one is buggy, the HUD flickers a little), but nice hood depth. The other one has HUD locked and Edgepeek set to 2D for better readability.

SBS Screenshot

Screenshot UT2004 VR

sdmpv
    Participant

Hi,
    I know it has been a while since the original post, but when I am looking for the UT 2004 profiles in Cloud profiles, I cannot find them. There are other Unreal/UT related profiles but the UT 2004 profiles seem to be gone. Have they been removed? Any recommendations to play UT 2004 with VorpX?

Thanks,
    Michael

RJK_
    Participant

They are called UT2004. Note: VorpX has currently problems with openGL so they may not work properly. Give us a note if they dont.

sdmpv
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I checked for ‘UT2004’ as profile name but that was probably before I realized that I need to register for the Cloud separately and forgot to check again afterwards.
    Game (version should be 3369) worked well in 2D with openGL, but kept crashing with both profiles during the main menu. Always with the same error message:
    Assertion failed: SwapBuffers( hDC ) [File:.\OpenGLRenderDevice.cpp] [Line: 1465]
    Seems like I am out of luck… Any help would be much appreciated.

RJK_
    Participant

I guess i wont be any further help. These profiles are stone old, besides i was using the retail version of the game. Any other version , steam etc. may not work with my profiles at all. VorpX has changed a lot since then and like said vorpX has currently problems with openGl. You may try one of the VorpX Quake profiles or the D2XXl (Descent 2) profile to see if you can get any 3D.

sdmpv
    Participant

OK, thanks. I will try. As a side note – I was using the retail version as well as the steam version – both with the same error. Maybe waiting until the openGL issues are fixed will do the trick.
    Thanks.

RJK_
    Participant

Update Feb 16. 2021

Unreal Tournament 2004 (DGVoodoo2 v 2.6) – G3D

This is a quick hack, so be aware. Very first screen has a missing shader but the game it self looks good. The advantage of this profile is that you can choose any custom resultion so you can play FUll VR with superb graphics quality.

– Note: This is a quick hack
    – Make settings before start !
    – DGVoodoo2 v2.6 required !
    – Use Full Sreen (gamesttings)
    – Force resolution w. DGVoodoo2
    – Optimized for cinema modes
    – Full VR vailable
    – Profile available at the cloud

sdmpv
    Participant

OK. First of all – thanks for taking the time to look into this. In a nutshell, I have to tweak a few settings in the future, but it basically works.

As someone else might want to try this – here is the longer version:
    I was using the 3D3 rendering option in the UT2004.ini. I never used DGVoodoo2 before and I was using the latest version (V2.72). I copied the MS/x86 dlls from DGVoodoo2 to the UT2004/system folder. I created a DGVoodoo2 configuration file using the …CPL.exe. I fixed the resolution to the native resolution of my monitor (1900×1200) in the conf file (manual edit). I started UT2004 (before starting VorpX) – I am using the retail version (3369), by the way, not the steam version. It started as a small window. Changed it to full screen, restarted and it started in Full screen. Everything worked as usual, DGVoodoo logo was visible in right lower corner. So seemed to still work in 2D. Exited UT2004.
    Started VorpX, applied your new profile, started VorpX Desktop Viewer and started UT2004 again. Game started in Cinema mode. Received error message that I should rename D3D9.dll due to a potential conflict with VorpX. Game still running, though. Changed settings to FullVR and tried to start a Death Match. Game crashed. Renaming the dll did not help so I changed it back. Looks like that conflict does not cause the issue. After three attempts I started the Death Match in Cinema Mode and changed it to FullVR after it launched. And that seemed to do the trick. Worked well from there. So I really had to select the game type, the map and wait until the map loaded, before changing to Full VR.
    I can’t play that for long as I am still prone to motion sickness after a few years in VR, but experiencing some of my favorite UT2004 maps in Full VR is absolutely great.
    Thank you for your efforts,
    Michael

RJK_
    Participant

Just delete the D3D9.dll we are using the d3d8.dll for this. Besides if you create for example a 2880×2160 custom resoultion in your graphics driver panel and switch to that resolution (of corse your monitor need to support that), then force res. to that setting in the DGVoodoo2 panel, you can play that res. in your HMD. – Glad i finally was able to help.

sdmpv
    Participant

OK, thanks for the clarification about the dll. Will delete it from the UT2004 directory.
    I am using two Full HD monitors and I have to sort out what I can use as combined resolution, in particular as the vertical resolution is limited in that setup… But even without any change, I am already happy with what I got so far.
    Thanks again,
    Michael

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks for your kind donation Michael, i really appreciate that !

sdmpv
    Participant

I thank you for your quick support and your dedication.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!