unsupported games

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion unsupported games

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Raven2099
    Participant

is there a way to import an unsupported game into the VorpX client just to see if i can make it wirk with my Rift/Vive?

if so how?

Raven2099
    Participant

such as steam games like Postal 2 or Subnautuca (native rift support in subnautica is all wankie and if i can use VorpX i will)

dellrifter22
    Participant

First it is helpful to know what engine the game uses, as a profile from another game using the same engine can often work to a degree.

You can easily make a copy of any profile and attach the games exe for testing.

Which game did you have in mind?

Raven2099
    Participant

namely Postal 2 by Running with Scissors made with the Unreal Engine 2
    and Subnautuca by Unknown Worlds Entertainment written in Unity

both are on STEAM

dellrifter22
    Participant

I’m not sure about the UE2 games, but I did just test Subnautica briefly using the Long Dark profile and and it hooked with some working geometry 3D. The shadows are a bit off and the HUD isn’t adjustable as far as i can tell, but it didn’t look half bad.

There are other Unity Engine game profiles that could be tested as well, Just wanted to do a quick example.

Raven2099
    Participant

how do i import unsupported games to test myself?

RJK_
    Participant

Unreal 2 engine has directx 8, this doesnt work at the moment yet.

Raven2099
    Participant

I found a solution, but it’s not fantastic.

In Postal2.ini (it’s right near exe file) change the following (semicolons):

[Engine.Engine]
    RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    :RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

to

[Engine.Engine]
    ;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Basically instead of using DirectX, the game will now use OpenGL.
    It works on external GPU, 60 FPS

Now please stop changing the subject and dily-dallying around on me and tell me how I CAN import it and test it myself in VorpX

dellrifter22
    Participant

Open the vorpX config (right click in system tray)

Go to Local Profiles, select a profile you’d like to copy, right click “Create a new profile based on this”.

It will ask you to name it (something like “Subnautica – LongDark” or “Subnautica – LD” so you know which profile you borrowed from).

In the Assigned Programs window to the right click Add, then navigate to the directory of the games exe you want to attach to that profile.

Click Apply, then close.
    ———————————-

Now you launch the game as usual with vorpX running and see if it works. if not, remove the exe from that profile and create a different one to try.

dellrifter22
    Participant

In case you’re still looking, I’ve put a profile for Subnautica on the vorpX cloud. I posted instructions here.

After disabling the flashlight shadows, things all look pretty good. It runs off the standard version of the game, so normal mouse/keyboard controls now apply.

Try it out if you like. Let me know if it works how you wanted.

brickumz
    Participant

hey raven do you think you’d be able to find a way to play total war Warhammer 2 in geometry 3d ?

CFodder
    Participant

In case you are still looking for it i put a profile for postal 2 up on the cloud. Didn’t do a huge amount of testing but everything seemed to work just fine.

I changed the game to open gl renderer in the video settings and set it to windowed mode.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!