Update entitlement?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Update entitlement?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ymo1965
    Participant

Greetings,

Been thinking of picking VorpX up and might do it very soon. However, the only thing that will decide this is the updates. I read somewhere (forums) that your not entitled to infinite updates. Your purchase only allows so many updates. Is this true and if so for how long?

Cheers,

Ralf
    Keymaster

So far there has not been a single paid update in 4 years, but there certainly will one at some point in the future. vorpX is being worked on constantly. New features and games are added regularly, which costs time and money. I’m sure you can understand that due to this not all future updates can be free forever.

However, if you choose not to upgrade when such an paid upgrade becomes available at some point, you will still be able to continue to use vorpX – just without the new features and games that are added afterwards.

ymo1965
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf for the quick reply. So, in all honesty, how long does a purchase today give you? I understand you need funds to continue to improve but are there reductions for existing users? Do we get a year minimum anyway? just trying to get an idea of what we get…

One other thing.. I am a Vive user so hope you give as much to vive users as the rift. How is the vive development seem? is it neck n’ neck with the rift or are there issues still?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can’t tell you that since there are no definitive plans in that regard yet (which might tell you that it certainly won’t happen in the short term). When it happens, there will be a reasonable grace period for new purchases, which is how such things are handled since the dawn of time so to speak. Nothing even remotely unusual to worry about here.

Vive/SteamVR support is on par with Rift, both have exactly the same features.

ymo1965
    Participant

OK, chap thanks alot. Gonna take the plunge. I can see your working hard. I know it’s not had the best coverage and theres hardly any real good reviews but youtube is your best pal and theres some good videos there :) Keep up the good work!

P.S How often do updates occur? are they every month or two? Last one seemed to be the end of december. Thnx

UPDATE: Went to purchase, saw the £28.99 price… good, sounds fair. Then hit the buy button and suddenly the price shot up to £34.79. What’s all that about?

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no fixed update schedule, but the general goal is to have 3-4 larger updates per year. In addition to that smaller maintenance updates are released if required. Since the last larger update in December there have been two smaller ones already for example.

The price on the checkout page includes or local sales tax (or VAT in Europe). it varies heavily based on where you live (from 0% in parts of the U.S to 25% in parts of Europe) hence MyCommerce can only add it when they know where you are from. This tax goes entirely into the pocket your government.

ymo1965
    Participant

Ok Ralf, but your checkout needs this info. There is nothing on your sales page for us mortals to see where that extra is going. Clarity would be a bonus to buyers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The checkout is handled by MyCommerce. Provided you don’t see a different a checkout page than the one I see here (which is possible although unlikely), they explain that VAT is added for European customers on the purchase page.

ymo1965
    Participant

OK, just grabbed it. One more question though. There wasnt an actual download file to keep as backup. Just an online setup file. Where can we download this again if we need it? like when installing a new OS etc. I prefer to keep backups of software I purchased.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The web installer always installs the latest version. In case you lose it, you can get a new one here at any time.

ymo1965
    Participant

Ok, thanks!

elliotttate
    Participant

@Ralf, have you ever considered a subscription option in an addition to the VorpX price where you could hire someone else just to add additional support for those of us that would be willing to pay for it? The subscription payers would get access to the added support of what was added by this additional employee and will eventually be included in the main VorpX after a period of time for everyone else. You would continue to add support like you have too though for all the main VorpX users.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!