Using custom profiles

Homepage Forums Technical Support Using custom profiles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    crispybuttphd
    Participant

I downloaded a custom profile for Halo Master Chief collection from dellrifter. The problem is, when I try to remove the halo executable from the default halo master chief collection profile so I can add it to the other profile, the option to add or remove is greyed out. So I cannot reassign the exe to the other profile I downloaded. How do I use profiles other than the default ones?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Official profiles take precedence over (in this case older) custom profiles. You might be able to rename the game exe if you still want to use the user profile. Not all games like that though.

I still have changes to user profile handling on the nice-to-have-list, but haven’t come up with a good solution yet how to handle various inherent issues that would arise if user profiles were allowed to override official ones. Often official profiles have advantages over user profiles, in this case for example DirectVR support. A user who had downloaded the earlier user profile before the official one came out would never become aware of the improved functionality, so that would have to be dealt with somehow. That’s just one example, there are a lot more comparable things that all would have to be addressed.

The whole profile system is pretty much built around ease-of-use and the ability to update profiles, most of that would become futile if user profiles could simply override official ones. Every time I start thinking about it I find yet another thing I would have to take care of to do it right. Nothing unsolvable, just a lot of annoying edge cases.

TLDR: Overriding official profiles without compromising a lot that the profile system was built for is a surprisingly complex matter with way more pitfalls than one would think at first glance (see the example above).

crispybuttphd
    Participant

I understand. So, once I downloaded the official profile, there is no way to get rid of the official one? Is there a way I can delete it? Then I can always redownload it from the cloud if I want to use it again. Otherwise, what is the point of user profiles, if no one can ever use them? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something but surely there must be a way to use a user profile (otherwise there wouldn’t be any) for a game with an official profile.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are two types of user profiles. Settings that can be applied to official profiles and full user profiles. For the second type my earlier reply applies, i.e. official profiles take precedence for the reasons outlined above. The user profile was created before there was am official profile. if you still want to try it, you might be able to rename the game’s .exe and assign it to the user profile. Not all games like that though, some will refuse to work when you rename their .exe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!