Using Gamepad and Direct VR

Homepage Forums Technical Support Using Gamepad and Direct VR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alec100_94
    Participant

Hi, I just got into using VorpX seriously today, with my new Oculus Go and Riftcat. And it is all pretty cool, but I’m having a few problems. The only game I have tried so far is portal 2 so I don’t know if this issue is universal across all games or not. But I want to play the game with my controller, but after doing a DirectVR scan I am unable to look around using the right stick (everything else works fine), this makes the game essentially unplayable with a Gamepad, without constantly physically turning which is very nausea inducing. The Mouse still works fine for rotation, but I don’t really want to play with a Keyboard and Mouse. I tried mapping the right stick to the mouse using Xpadder but that didn’t work either. Turning Head tracking off allows the stick to work again, but then I can’t look around using my head. I ideally want to be able to turn only on the X-Axis with my Controller but still be able to physically look around on both axes. Does anyone know a workaround for this, and whether this is a problem across all games?

slydog43
    Participant

Very interested in the answer as well.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is pretty much unique to Portal 2 and a few other Source Engine 2 titles. Direct VR directly writes the camera rotation into the game’s memory which apparently causes a conflict with how the game handles the gamepad in these games. No promises, but I’ll look into it. So with a Go mouse and keyboard currently is the only viable option.

@ Slydog : with a Rift/Vive you can use the VR controllers instead if you don’t want to use mouse/keyboard. I’d highly recommended that anyway since the game even has basic roomscale support with DirectVR.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update: the vorpX gamepad override will be available with DirectVR in the next vorpX version, which will fix this glitch. Was supposed to be case in Portal 2 already, but currently isn’t working due to a recently introduced bug.

alec100_94
    Participant

Great news to know this is getting fixed, and it’s only an issue with portal 2 so it’s all good. Also thanks for the tip about being able to play with VR Controllers, I have the Nolo Controller, so I’d imagine VorpX would see them as Vive Controllers. Does playing with the VR controllers offer any real benefit over using a standard gamepad? I think I’d prefer the familiarity of a standard controller, not too bothered about the position tracking as I like to play seated, and don’t really get motion sick from the artificial movement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!