Valve source games don't work

Homepage Forums Technical Support Valve source games don't work

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BloodFX
    Participant

Hi I have tried all valve source games with latest release and not a single 1 works.
    Portal, portal 2, halflife 2, black mesa, all refuse to work.

BloodFX
    Participant

Is this a known problem or a new 1?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not a known issue. Half-Life 2 and Black Mesa were both checked with the latest version before release.

If vorpX does not hook into the games, please first try to enable (or disable if you currently have it enabled) alternative hooking in the config app. Please note that the alternative method should only be used in case of problems with a specific game. It‘s not better, just different.

If that doesn‘t help, please check for anything that may prevent vorpX from hooking into games. The pinned trouble shooting guide above lists potential candidates.

BloodFX
    Participant

Went through the troubleshooter and disable everything and they still don’t work, alt hook method doesn’t work either.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try a factory reset in the config app. And if that doesn‘t help try a full uninstall/reinstall of vorpX (you can keep the registration info to avoid having to re-authorize)

Also try both windowed/fullscreen. Sometimes one may work while the other doesn’t in case of odd issues. There is definitely no general issue with these games.

moadepth
    Participant

Hi I did a short test and it hooks must be your setup.
    Anyway I would not promote VorpX with Half Life 2 and Co.
    Theres 1 profile for 5 or more ? games if you want to modify 1 you change settings for all of them, I know you can change the exe name but steam makes updates now and then (latly all week it seems) and then nothing works again. I tried half life 2 episode 2 for this test, came into the main menu all messed up again, you can barely read the menus, shadows flickering in the background, did factory reset the profile no improvment. I used to play this episode fine in 1600×900 but with 16xaa and it was a nice experience I was tinkering for hours to achive this.. but not again, sadly I was only half through the game.

Ralf
    Keymaster

With all due respect, that is not a good advice. Half-Life 2 works terrific. Full 90fps practically guaranteed + perfect 100% memory scanner DirectVR with FOV and full tracking support. One of the games that even have basic roomscale support.

To avoid flicker you just have to follow the on-screen instructions shown in the top left corner of the desktop window and use a 4:3 resolution, eg. 1600×1200 or 1920×1440. With other aspect ratios (like your 16:9), the FOV will flicker.

For better readable menus (like always with small font menus) simply switch to EdgePeek mode while using the menu. No problem at all. Alternatively you could scale up the HUD, of course, but switching to EdgePeek for using menus is the better solution.

RJK_
    Participant

Perhaps something worth to mention. I havent tried this with 19.2.4 yet, but Half Life 2 wasnt working here, meaning monitor display as expected with vorpX logo but headset remained black. Now the interesting part: Using the HL2 Profile with other games as a base profile was showing the same effect while the same game with another base profile was not.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check with the latest version and ideally not with Windows 7 (although it should still work). As mentioned above the game has been tested with 19.2.4. Quite rigorously actually since 19.2.4 contains a performance related change for Half-Life 2.

BTW: Neither Oculus supports Windows 7 officially anymore nor does Valve for the Index headset. Anyone still on Windows 7 should slowly start to consider the possibility of both runtime vendors finally phasing out Windows 7 support completely. The only remaining question in this regard is when it will happen. My guess would be sometime next year after the official Windows 7 end of life.

RJK_
    Participant

Just tried HL2 with 19.2.4 with the same result as above. Must be a local (win7) issue like we have guessed before. (havent made it to win10 yet, yea yea i know )

Ralf
    Keymaster

I just want to make sure that you aren’t caught by surprise one day, hence I’d like to let you know the current state of affairs every now and then: Microsoft ends official support next January, Oculus officially requires Windows 10 now (7 still works, but they don‘t actually care anymore), and Valve‘s current official stance you get in support replies regarding Index is that they don‘t actively prevent Windows 7 from working, but anyone using it shouldn‘t be surprised about ‚unexpected behavior‘. In other words, they don‘t really care anymore either.

I know you have valid reasons for disliking Windows 10, but using cutting edge tech like VR with an outdated OS will obviously not work forever.

moadepth
    Participant

Hi Ralf dont get me wrong Im really satisfyed with VorpX its not your fault Valve uses the name over and over again. And I know HL2 is looking good in VorpX but recently a friend gifted me Portal 2 and out of curiousity I changed a few values not in mind that it changed the settings for HL2E2 too so here we are. Nice weekend.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!