VLC media player

Homepage Forums Technical Support VLC media player

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MostlyDisappointing
    Participant

Was using VLC fine with vorpX for about an hour. Then the film froze and now vorpX won’t hook into VLC. I’ve reset the vorpX profile and reinstalled VLC, deleted all appdata, restarted PC. Still the same behaviour.

Any further troubleshooting suggestions? Cheers!

MostlyDisappointing
    Participant

Oh, I’ve just realised vorpX isn’t hooking into anything else either (probably should have checked that before making this post). The dialog box comes up and vorpX attempts, but fails and offers the exclude/close/nothing box. A quick search of the forums isn’t showing anything that seems applicable.

RJK_
    Participant

The first thing you should do when such a thing happens, restart your PC. Have you done that ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

May also be an injection conflict with some other program on your PC that also hooks into other apps. Maybe you just got lucky before. The pinned troubleshooting guide on top of this sub-forum lists a few potential candidates.

BTW: Unrelated, but personally I would consider MPC-HC the better choice for watching movies with vorpX, you might want to check that one out.

MostlyDisappointing
    Participant

Oh yes, sorry, I followed that troubleshooting guide first, restarted PC, no virus scanner, utilities, recording, chat programs. Nothing else running in the background apart from steam for steamVR. vorpx tries but fails to hook into prey, portal, outer wilds, VLC, MPC-HC. All these were working hours beforehand.

I’ve tried “use alternative hooking method” checkbox but no change.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Maybe your vorpX install got corrupted somehow. Try a full factory reset in the config app (trouble shooting page).

If that doesn’t help, try to uninstall/reinstall vorpX. Keep the regitration information when the uninstaller asks about it!

If you need a new installer, you can get one here:
    http://www.vorpx.com/request-new-download/

Also try to remember whether you maybe installed something or made any changes to your system. An issue like this typically doesn’t appear suddenly out of the blue, it’s more likely that something changed on your system that triggered the issue.

If you happen to have the Windows system restore function enabled, try a restore point from before the issue started to occur. Unfortunately it’s off per default on Windows 10, so unless you enabled it that’s not an option.

That’s all I can recommend, I’m afraid.

MostlyDisappointing
    Participant

Got it working through some black magic stuff. Thank you for all your help!

No system restore.

Did the uninstall/reinstall as described, didn’t work. Did it again this time also redoing chipset, GPU drivers and still didn’t work.

Gave up, tried deoVR, vorpx tried to attach because I forgot to turn it off, caused issues, restarted PC and then I figured one last try and suddenly it worked. with everything. I’m assuming there was something hanging around between SteamVR and vorpx? Or maybe just coincidence?

Minabe
    Participant

Offtopic but what do you use VLC for? Isn’t MPC-HC better at everything? Personally i haven’t used VLC with vorpX

Ralf
    Keymaster

MPC-HC is better quality wise, that comes at price though. In MPC-HC vorpX grabs the image before the player processes it. That has numerous advantages, but also means subtitles aren’t shown in vorpX.

In VLC the image gets grabbed when it is sent to the monitor, after the player processed it, so you get full subtitle support.

So in general MPC-HC is the better choice for vorpX, but if you want subtitles, VLC is the way to go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!