Vorpx 120hz refresh rate with Valve Index

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vorpx 120hz refresh rate with Valve Index

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tip.atkeson
    Participant

I am not sure how to get around this issue. My Index will run at 120 & 140Hz refresh rates but I can’t get Vorpx games to run at that because my monitor is only 60hz and is limiting the in game resolution/refresh rate options to 60hz. Steam VR games run in a separate driver allowing the higher rates but with Vorpx the computer looks at it as though it is launching a flat screen game. The only fix I can think of is get a 120hz monitor, but that’s more than I want to spend especially now that I really only play VR.

Any thought much appreciated.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no general restriction in that regard, but three things may happen:

1. A game has a built-in 60fps cap (possible)
    2. Similar: A game enforces VSync although vorpX ignores it (unlikely)
    3. Most likely however is this: except for older games you will have a hard time running anything with 120fps in stereo 3D (plus an small additional overhead for rendering to the headset). So what’s probably happening is that either vorpX (through it’s ‘FluidSync’ function) or the headset runtime falls back to 60 ‘real’ FPS and then interpolates one artificially generated frame for each one that gets actually rendered by the game.
    tip.atkeson
    Participant

I would like to even get 90 fps versus 60. I am sure that the headset is interpolating the FPS to a higher FPS but this is not the proper way to do it, especially when the game is only allowing a low 6o fps output because it feels it is running on monitor. I am playing F1 2019 and this game can run at very high refresh rates and it would be awesome to access those in the Valve Index headset. Thanks for the feedback.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There isn’t really any other answer to your question than the one above: no general restriction in regard to framerate. If a game can run at full framerate, it will do so unless you have forced FluidSync on in the vorpX menu or the game is capped internally. If you are OK with that, you could switch to Z3D, which is less demanding, but with Geometry 3D I would consider it unlikely that you will be able to achieve full 90fps, let alone 120, in a game as new as F1 2019.

The added performance rquirements for stereo 3D and VR – keep in mind that everything has to be drawn twice, which alone basicaly cuts the framerate in half – are also the reason why most native VR games don’t look like current AAA games BTW.

You can find some additional information on performance in the ‘Performance Optimization’ guide in the vorpX help, although the above pretty much sums it up.

tip.atkeson
    Participant

Thanks again for your feedback. I actually don’t run in VR or with geometry on. I run in the immersive screen(?) mode and am very happy with it. I have a fast computer with a 2080ti oc but enjoy the immersive screen mode much more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!