VorpX – 3D-Vision

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX – 3D-Vision

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Hello there,

Have a fiew questions regarding 3D-Objects in Games. Unfortunately i have no knowledge of how Nvidia Drivers and VorpX Drivers exactly work.

In Code of Honor 3, which i have tested with Vorpx, i noticed that objects like plants were 2D. The whole game was some kind of a pseudo-3D. With 3D-Vision the same objects are in 3D, some of them seem to stick out of the monitor when walking past them. This is the way it should be.

Now since i have read that Nvidia provides VR Compatible Drivers and on the other hand that vorpx renders 2 different images (at least in Geometry mode, whatever that means), i must ask why CAN things look so different in VR and 3D-Vision ? I guess voprx is using a completely different technique then the nvidi drivers and why not using their “vr comatibility” ? – Meaning, in my eyes it should be possible to use the drivers vr compatibilty to let the graphics card do the rendering insted of doing this by software through the cpu.

Well, my main questing is, how can it happen that i have a nice an clean 3D with 3d-vision and only a pseudo 3D with vorpx ?

Thanks in advance
    RJK

Ralf
    Keymaster

As any 3D driver vorpX requires game specific settings (profiles) to provide stereoscopic 3D. For Code of Honor 3 there is no such profile, hence the game is shown without stereoscopic 3D.

You can try to create your own 3D profile for games that do not have one, but there is no guarantee that such a user profile will work.

1. Open the vorpX config app.
    2. Go to “Local Profiles” page.
    3. Search for a game based on the same graphics engine as the one you want to try.
    4. Create a copy of that profile.
    5. Assign the main .exe of the program you want to try to the copied profile.

With some luck this way you may be able to make unknown games work with sereoscopic 3D, but again: there is no guarantee that this will work.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks for answering,

I exactly did that. Btw: I wrote an engine ckecker which anyone can use. ( http://megalist.interkohl.com/engines/vorp_check.php ) .

Vorpx has really a lot of options in its ingame menu which i like, but to be honest without a good manual the user can be easily confused.

Where i come up with a qnother major question: Is it possible at all for a user to make an “unknown” game work or is that only possible through the programmer of vorpx by make any hidden settings ?

Then i found a small bug, because of city interactive games very often name their exicutables “game.exe” vorpx gave an error message like “game.exe cant be used because it is used be xyz. I renamed the exe to soemthing else but then the games asks for “game.exe”. Only a renamed copy made the game work. (dont know if that is good).

RJ

Electryic
    Participant

As any 3D driver vorpX requires game specific settings (profiles) to provide stereoscopic 3D. For Code of Honor 3 there is no such profile, hence the game is shown without stereoscopic 3D.

You can try to create your own 3D profile for games that do not have one, but there is no guarantee that such a user profile will work.

1. Open the vorpX config app.
    2. Go to “Local Profiles” page.
    3. Search for a game based on the same graphics engine as the one you want to try.
    4. Create a copy of that profile.
    5. Assign the main .exe of the program you want to try to the copied profile.

With some luck this way you may be able to make unknown games work with sereoscopic 3D, but again: there is no guarantee that this will work.

Hey Ralf: Any chance of ever having 3D vision not conflict w/ the VorpX driver so that we can have an option of playing a game in 3D vision in vorpX on the movie screen etc?

Electryic
    Participant

Thanks for answering,

I exactly did that. Btw: I wrote an engine ckecker which anyone can use. ( http://megalist.interkohl.com/engines/vorp_check.php ) .

Vorpx has really a lot of options in its ingame menu which i like, but to be honest without a good manual the user can be easily confused.

Where i come up with a qnother major question: Is it possible at all for a user to make an “unknown” game work or is that only possible through the programmer of vorpx by make any hidden settings ?

Then i found a small bug, because of city interactive games very often name their exicutables “game.exe” vorpx gave an error message like “game.exe cant be used because it is used be xyz. I renamed the exe to soemthing else but then the games asks for “game.exe”. Only a renamed copy made the game work. (dont know if that is good).

RJ

What would really be helpful w/ your search engine would be to be able to search a game and see if it comes up in any of your listings.

Regarding an unknown game I’m pretty sure you’ll need an existing profile created by Ralf using the “hidden settings”. What you do for your situation is go into the configuration settings and create a new profile based on an existing one. You can apply as many games as you want to that existing (working) profile. Look around in the vorpx configuration and you’ll find it. It doesn’t matter what the game is called in the .exe… you hit “create a game using this profile” etc and then you use the file browser to go and find the .exe for the actual game (i.e. not the launcher or whatever). You don’t change or mess w/ the actual .exe itself or rename it.. you just trick vorpx into applying existing working settings for another game to that game.

RJK_
    Participant

What would really be helpful w/ your search engine would be to be able to search a game and see if it comes up in any of your listings.

Are you talking about the megalist.interkohl.com ? This site is quite new and doenst contain much more but the games names, release date, steam yes or no. – The engine search http://megalist.interkohl.com/engines/vorp_check.php was quickly put together using the games which vorpx officially supports and is not finished yet. It will take a while to complete the database with engines. But youre right, a simple search form could be helpful. BTW: any additional lists of games and engines are highly welcome. send em to: megalist/at/interkohl.com

…. You don’t change or mess w/ the actual .exe itself or rename it.. you just trick vorpx into applying existing working settings for another game to that game….

Please make a shot test: Rename any file into “game.exe”. Then point with your copied profile onto the exe and see if you get an error message.

kurry
    Participant

It would be amazing if we could somehow use 3D vision in the Vorpx Desktop mode.
    Ralf, is this something that would be possible?
    There are so many games that are playable using helixmod fixes.
    http://helixmod.blogspot.ca/2013/10/game-list-automatically-updated.html

RJK_
    Participant

…t would be amazing if we could somehow use 3D vision in the Vorpx Desktop mode.

Why desktop mode ? Better wrapped to full 360 Degrees ;-)

RJK_
    Participant

I think i must clear up some misunderstandings.

Almost any DX9/DX10/DX11 game can be played with 3D-Vision, exept those who have a 2D environment like many adventures.

Helixmod does NOT make games playable. Its a modding tool which is able to fix faulty shaders or objects in DX9 games which can already be played with 3D-Vision.

There are other tools like DGVoodoo http://dege.freeweb.hu which wraps older DX versions (DX8 and lower) to DX11. These games usually can then (wrapped) be used with 3D-Vision. There are also tools like http://3dsurroundgaming.com/OGL3DVision.html making OpenGL games playable with 3D Vision.

I think a great feature of VorpX would be allowing wrappers taking effect before itself hooks into the game. See also https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/wish-list-of-games/page/35/#post-166759

RJ

broksampson
    Participant

Just so you know, Ralf didn’t realize you meant “Nvidia 3d vision”, which is a driver that draws two distinct points of view in sequence for usb active shutter glasses.

RJK_
    Participant

Today i read (i am a dummie) vorpx supports opengl games. Now that the list of opengl games is huge, even the old tombraider supports that, my question : can i expect ANY opengl game to work with vorpx ? If so i would put some crosslinks on my Engine List because different engines support opengl too.

RJK_
    Participant

i was wrong, it thought tomb raider 1-5 is opengl. The wiki list said so, but you need the opengl renderer (opentomb) for that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX should be able to hook into most OpenGL games, but only for those that use a fairly old OpenGL version (to be precise the original OpenGL fixed function pipeline), there is a chance of 3D. With a few exceptions this mostly means games up to ~2005 (Doom3/Quake4 era).

For fan made mods of older games that might also apply, no harm in trying. The Quake 3 profile is a good base profile for checking unknown OpenGL games.

RJK_
    Participant

I have added now an OpenGL Gamelist to the Engine List

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for the time you put into this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!