vorpx and SLI

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpx and SLI

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Since one of the last releases (I think the first release with DirectVR) SLI started to cause problems with vorpx, namely flickering, in games that worked fine with vorpx+SLI before. It was discussed previously on the forum that vorpx is agnostic to SLI, but apparently this is not true anymore. Is there a chance that voprx will become “agnostic to SLI” again? Or are there some settings that can fix the issue?

Ralf
    Keymaster

There hasn’t been any changes to the basic rendering pipeline in vorpX. Direct VR isn’t really related to the graphics pipeline, and all that is related is basically the same as before. The headset vendor’s runtimes however evolve quickly and so far aren’t really SLI friendly on their own, so I wouldn’t rule out that overall recently something may have changed that causes trouble for SLI.

You could try the “Direct Mode GPU Sync” setting in the display page of the ingame menu (requires expert settings enabled in the config app). Per default it’s usually set to the most conservative option though, so unless you changed it before that probably won’t help.

If you happen to use a Rift, it might also be worth a try to switch to Steam VR in the config app instead of using the Oculus mode. Maybe that makes a difference.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response, Ralf! I see your point. It could be a coincidence that SLI stopped working with voprx right after that update, I cannot exclude this. There were some updates in steamvr, Windows, and NVIDIA drivers. I use the vive, by the way.

As you said, the setting that you mentioned was already the safest. I also checked more games, and see that the problem occurs with all of them, except dishonored 2, for which I use the cloud profile. There is no 3D with that profile for some reason, but SLI does not cause the flicker problem.

I would like to check an older version of vorpx, but I don’t know how to get it. Could you help? The last version before the DirectVR would be good to try. I think it was 16.2.1

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check your mail.

Trabis
    Participant

Have you been able to solve the issue? I just purchased vorpX yesterday, only to find out that every game flickers with my setup (1080 SLI). I have been unable to get a single game working correctly with this software, so I cannot even use it :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please disable SLI and you should be fine. There never was official SLI support in vorpX and never will be.

We will check with the user above whether something has changed in vorpX or whether the flickering is due to changes in the headset runtime – which also do not support SLI. So with some luck it *potentially* *might* work again ‘unofficially’ in a future build, but that is all I can commit to.

Trabis
    Participant

I guess that’s understandable. SLI itself is lacking in support, most newer games don’t support it either.

The flickering is due to the fact that every other frame is black (with AFR). I can see if I find success using different SLI methods (split-frame rendering) or using different compatibility bits when I have extra time.

Thanks anyway.

maros bruno
    Participant

Hello. Have you been able to find a solution for the SLI problem? Or you had to disable it? Iam considering SLI setup but i play only VR/vorpx games on my VIVE. I usually prefer cinema mode, maybe anybody knows if cinema mode works in SLI? Thanks.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I’m not the best to answer, but my experience with SLI years ago (pre vr) showed it generally caused more trouble than good. Better to have a single strong card imo.

I know there are hopes that SLI can be used to render each eye individually, but that is not how it works.

Cinema mode shouldn’t render any different than other modes.

andrewtsubaro
    Participant

Here is a bit of history. Sorry for not remembering all the details, and not having time to dig them up. A few years back, I was enjoying Borderlands 2 with vorpx and SLI, everything worked fine. Then there was a vorpx update, and suddenly SLI started to flicker. Then, a new vorpx version was released, the one where the official profile for Dishonored 2 was first included. And, as I remember, at least a couple of new profiles from that release (Dishonored 2 and another one) worked fine with SLI. I did not have an opportunity to test, but I suspect that all new profiles from that release work with SLI. Dishonored 2 worked fine with SLI then, with a beautiful 3D. Of course, as said above, this all could be for reasons that are not related to vorpx, but it LOOKS LIKE it is an issue of older profiles with new versions of vorpx. I wish I had more time to explore this, maybe somebody can check if all new profiles since that release with Dishonored 2 (I think it was 17.3.0) work with SLI.

Anatolij
    Participant

I want to add my experience about SLI + WMR (Dell visor). VorpX SLI does not work with the driver itself (only 1 GPU is loaded at 99%, GPU 2 is idle). But in vorpX Desktop Viewer mode, SLI works, and more specifically vorpX Desktop Viewer + ReShade with Depth3D (or Super depth3d) (SBS) + SLI. Desktop Viewer + TriDef 3D Ignition (SBS) + SLI also works, but not very correctly, there are constant jerks (lags). SLI also works great with the Virtual Desktop program, supports the same options as described above, and is also buggy with TriDef 3D Ignition.
    So the most optimal SLI mode is vorpX Desktop Viewer + ReShade with Depth3D (or Super depth3d) (SBS) + SLI filter, or Virtual Desktop + ReShade with Depth3D (or Super depth3d) (SBS) + SLI.
    That is why still can not make a VorpX driver that supports SLI? This is a question for VorpX developers, because the software for WMR headset + SteamVR, SLI fully supports.

Anatolij
    Participant

P.S. I was very upset to learn that the driver itself does not support SLI. Indeed, at the moment there are so many games that even the RTX 2080ti cannot handle in the usual 2D mode, what can we say about the VR mode, which requires 2 times more performance. And currently, support for SLI, CF is a must. Otherwise, there’s no reason to use VR. I used to (before VR) play games in 3D vision mode from Nvidia, since this mode fully supported SLI, why not make the same support for VorpX?

rich0550
    Participant

agree the frame rate is a deal killer for AAA tittles. Even Games like GTAV that are very old, still run horribly low FPS. Without SLI we are still like 5-7 years out if Nvidia is only bumping speed at 20% a year. And with Raytracing.. wont go there. 4k Vr around the corner too..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!