VorpX and Supersampling

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX and Supersampling

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Starlight
    Participant

Hello all! Quick questions I just tried HL 2 native VR Support and I was wondering how different it is from VorpX. I am experiencing some studdering when turning my head and obviously my supersampling are not taken into account since we have to disable direct mode. So how much better HL 2 (and other games) will look like in Vorpx? Does VorpX support Supersampling? I have a GTX1080 so I guess I can push the graphics a bit.
    Thx! :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Supersampling can be done by setting a game’s resolution in vorpX. Setting an external multiplier through a config tweak doesn’t really enhance the image quality with vorpX, but raising a game’s resolution does.

General recommendations are: 1280×1024 (performance), 1600×1200 (balanced), 1920×1440 (quality).

1920×1440 provides a slightly higher pixel density than a native app, everything beyond that would result in supersampling. The only hard limit is your PC.

Starlight
    Participant

Thx for the quick reply again, you’re going to have a new customer today! :)

Myrilion
    Participant

1920×1440 provides a slightly higher pixel density than a native app, everything beyond that would result in supersampling.

That’s not true. Native VR apps have to render in a higher resolution than the display(s) (2 x 1080×1200) because of the distortion that “compresses” the outer region.

1920×1440 therefore should be called “normal” quality, because with a lower resolution the pixels in the center of the rendered image will be bigger than the corresponding pixels of the display.

These imprecisenesses lead to the issues of the VR mode of VorpX, which are off-putting to a lot of people, even if they cannot put the finger on it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s exactly like I wrote above, sorry. The way vorpX works with default settings 1920×1440 provides a *slightly* higher pixel density than a native app and resolutions above result in noticable supersampling.

The reason why a lower resolution is recommended per default is that many (especially newer) games require a lower resolution to run fast enough for a pleasant experience.

Hope that clears this up.

Myrilion
    Participant

It’s exactly like I wrote above, sorry. The way vorpX works with default settings 1920×1440 provides a *slightly* higher pixel density than a native app and resolutions above result in noticable supersampling.

Hmm. I think it was pretty clear what I wrote. I am confused, that you can’t follow.

Here is an introduction to SteamVR, the first doc I found.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2015/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_GDC2015.pdf

Look at page 4:
    Native VR apps have to render at a higher internal off-screen resolution, for the reasons I’ve tried to explain to you (sorry, not repeating myself again):

“Off-screen rendering ~1.4x in each dimension:
    – 1512 x 1680 per-eye”

Hope that clears it up. xD

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s a bit difficult to answer you without sounding slightly rude this time, so sorry in advance. I’d rather not answer you at all, but unfortunately false information tends to spread, so I have to. Hopefully you don’t actually believe yourself to tell me something I don’t know if you say that your Vive uses a higher render resolution than the display resolution.

If I explicitely tell you that with the default settings 1920×1440 vorpX produces a slightly higher pixel densitity than a native app on your Vive, then I mean that. That is directly linked to the non existing “fundamental issue” that you mention in your other thread, because per default on Vive vorpX ON PURPOSE does not use the full vertical FOV to achieve a higher pixel density. Which you can easily change by raising the image zoom if you prefer the full vertical FOV over the higher pixel density.

jungleboy123
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I tried going over the recommended 1920×1440 today on aliens CM. I went and increased resolution to 2560×2880.

Needless to say that it did not run as smooth, but i must say it really removed the DK2’s screen door and the game looked like an actual 1080p game run directly on a monitor. Comparing the fact that our headset’s lenses are zoomed in to such an extent, i think this is really amazing.

Adjustment of FOV and tracking is almost minimal, as most of the work has already been done by setting the aspect ratio.

I agree that the game feels a lot smoother by increasing resolution from the desktop rather than using nvidia’s DSR.

It now feels like a native game!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Supersampling can be done by setting a game’s resolution in vorpX. Setting an external multiplier through a config tweak doesn’t really enhance the image quality with vorpX, but raising a game’s resolution does.

General recommendations are: 1280×1024 (performance), 1600×1200 (balanced), 1920×1440 (quality).

1920×1440 provides a slightly higher pixel density than a native app, everything beyond that would result in supersampling. The only hard limit is your PC.

Hello, can you please tell me where do i find resulution settings in the vorpx menu?

Ralf
    Keymaster

To change the resolution of a game, use the options that a game normally provides for that. Usually you can do that in the video or graphics options menu of a game. Using windowed resolutions will often allow larger resolutions than your monitor allows.

jungleboy123
    Participant

If it helps you can set up a custom resolution through amd/nvidia control panel and then activate it ingame.

Its what i did to enable the HMD to display those resolutions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!