vorpX cannot really use any profiles

Homepage Forums Technical Support vorpX cannot really use any profiles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Deity
    Participant

My vorpX seems to have messed up. I already uninstalled and reinstalled vorpX, but even though it can display local profiles, when I actually launched those games, vorpX either complained that there is no profile for that game or just display the 2D version of the game in immersive screen.
    I tried the ‘build in’ profile for games like Dune Nukem Forever.

Also, I find that even I have uninstalled vorpX , the cloud profiles I downloaded are still showing up in my local profile list after the reinstall.

Is there a way I can completely reset / erase all previous vorpX setting?

Ralf
    Keymaster

In case something is totally messed up, try to delete the C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX folder. That will also delete the profile database.

Caveat: The C:\ProgramData folder is hidden per default by Windows. If you can’t see it, enable ‘Show hidden files’ in the Explorer options.

Deity
    Participant

I have already done that but I still got the same issue :-(

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check whether your version of the game maybe uses a different .exe name than the one that is assigned to the profile. There are a variety of cases where that might happen. E.g. Game of the Year editions sometimes use a different .exe name, sometimes also Epic Store versions are differently named than Steam versions and so on, also occasionally not so official versions of games.

In such a case you can make a copy of the existing profile and then assign the actual .exe to the copied profile. There is no guarantee that that will work, but it’s worth a try.

The .exe name(s) that a profile is assigned to are shown in the config app. You can compare them with your game version by locating the actual .exe in a game’s install folder.

Deity
    Participant

Yes, I have checked the .exe file names :-(

While this is probably the symptom and not the cause of the issue, here is a clip (not sure is linking to dropbox is allowed here) of me uninstalling VorpX and yet the downloaded local profile is somehow reappeared after reinstall:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/99spshgoe0n5kr4/record_vorpx_issue01.asf?dl=0
    which may related to the issue why I couldn’t reset to “default” VorpX experience even after reinstall

Deity
    Participant
    Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s weird for sure. Are you by any chance running a system with multiple user accounts, i.e. a dedicated admin user and a ‘normal’ user? In such cases a game may run under a different user account than vorpX if you run vorpX as admin and the game as normal user or vice versa, which potentially might lead to problems like that.

Also please check whether you maybe have some super aggressive “security” option enabled in your AV scanner that might affect communication between two running processes. if in doubt, use Windows Defender with default settings.

Deity
    Participant

No, it is a single user Windows installation :-( And I am also running only the default Windows Defender

Any other things that I can try on my end to give some diagnostic information?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can create a trouble shoot data archive with logfiles and some basic system information in the config app. Not really sure whether it will contain anything useful in respect to your issue, but when you send it as an e-mail attachment to support at vorpX com, I can check whether there is something unusual.

Deity
    Participant

Hiya, just want to report back that it turns out the profile database (and various other settings) were saved under
    C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX

I only Googled about VirtualStore a little bit, but it seems that it might be caused by vorpX running in Windows Compatible mode. I didn’t recall manually asking Windows to run vorpX in Compatible mode, but I might be wrong. Or is it something that could be triggered by some option settings in vorpX?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds as if your Windows is messed up somehow. Since several years the profile database is stored in a shared ProgramData folder (usually C:\ProgramData) that is shared across all accounts. Both the config app and the actual vorpX request the actual location via built in Windows functions. If these functions point to the virtual store in your user folder when requesting the shared ProgramData folder, something is seriously wrong.

If I had to guess, I’d say for some reason there might be no write access to C:\ProgramData for the user in question. Just a guess though. Either way, under normal circumstances the database would definitely not be inside the virtual store.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!