VorpX compatibility

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX compatibility

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jcee
    Participant

I’ve been looking around, and have yet to get a straight answer;
    the compatibility list has 200~ games.. but what about the 10,000+ other games that exist?

1.does vorpX run on some/most of these games, that havn’t been ‘officially tested’ and what would you guys estimate the success rate is (is there a list of unsupported titles), for positional tracking? for 3d?

2. I also have Tridef 3D (the non-vr version), does the vorpX play nice? IE is there any ways to use them together, like VorpX for the virtual screen, and Tridef 3D for the stereoscopic image (like virtual desktop on steam)

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX tries to hook into any DirectX9-11 and OpenGL game you start. However, unless there is a game specific profile, games are shown in 2D and – obviously – do not have any game specific adjustments.

So you can play a lot more games than those on the list, but unknown games are limited to 2D and mouse based headtracking, for 3D and any game specific VR adjustment a profile is required.

It’s possible to create your own profiles by copying existing ones, and there also are quite a few user made profiles available from the vorpX cloud, there is no guarantee though that profiles created this way actually work for an unknown game.

jcee
    Participant

thanks for the info. yes i assumed 2d without tracking would work just fine in most cases… as there is nothing to inject (atleast on windows 10)
    but no-one buys vorpX simply for playing on a virtual monitor, when there are other (free) solutions.

so what would you say the success rate is, for a random DX 9-11 game, given up-to an hour of tinkering with the profile? I know its hard for you to give a subjective answer (because people will try and hold you to it) so this question is probably better left answered by a community member, rather than a developer.

but you can probably answer the tridef Question on if your app supports side-by side 3d as output by tridef 3d, while running in the 2d ‘compatibility’ mode stated above… (virtual desktop does for $15)

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can always use the vorpX desktop viewer, disable the vorpX hooking, and then run games windowed. That’s the safest bet for multiple injectors. Whether doing something like that is particularly desirable is another question, every additional layer you add can cause additional unforseeable issues, and of course costs performance.

The success rate with custom profiles largely depends on the game, it’s impossible to give a general answer to that question. Games based on well known graphics engines are more likely to work than others. Also newer games are a lot more complex than games that are five or ten years old, which also has an effect.

jcee
    Participant

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/edit#gid=0
    is the closest I can seem to find for what I’m looking for, which seems to indicate about a 90% success rate for Z3D, and about 70% success rate for head-tracking. with maybe 10% of games working with direct VR.

basically, if you have a compatibility list, it stands to reason there should be an incompatibility list too..? if-so is it larger, or smaller than the compatibility list?
    also is there a way to see this vorpX cloud to further check for compatibility without installing vorpX?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Primarily please consider the list of supported games the list of supported games. For unknown DX9-11 and OpenGL games keep the rule of thumb in mind that I mentioned above: it’s quite likely that vorpX can hook and show them in 2D, plus you can try to make your own 3D profiles or download custom profiles – which aren’t guarenteed to work though.

As said earlier, custom profiles uploaded to the cloud are done by users, they aren’t checked by anyone. You can’t really see how well they work just from their existence on the server.

Hope that answers your questions, it’s the best answer I can give you.

NipOc
    Participant

You can use tridef with the vorpx desktop viewer. The game fps have to be locked 10-20% lower than desktop performance (fps limiter or v-sync) and fullscreen doesn’t always work either, so you may have to use something like borderless gaming.

If you want to make a profile for another game than try to use profiles for games with the same engine.

jcee
    Participant

Ok the doc I linked has a pretty good list of games, though I am a little un-clear on the terminology used for the columns, could someone give be a description of each, and what it actually does? Heres that list(and specific questions i have about each):
    1. Direct VR position: (does this make your character move, when you do? or just the game camera?)
    2. Direct VR rotation: ( can you aim by moving the touch controllers? or is the ‘gun’ stuck in the center of your FOV?, or something else?)
    3. Direct VR FOV: ( I assume this is ‘fisheye’ and means things on the sides don’t get ‘warped’ because you can match oculuses FOV with the ingame FOV?)
    4. Game Settings Optimizer: (does this mean there is already a community profile for it? or something else?
    5. G3D rendering and positional Headtracking: (what does this mean, and whats the difference between it and Z3D rendering?)
    6. Z3D rendering (Is this conversion of a 2D image/video to 3D? or an alternate rendering method, that still gets actual 3d?)
    7. Virtual Cinema (I’m pretty sure this is just a big-screen tv in a virtual space? can you adjust distance, and screen curvature? (2 features I like with tridef VR))

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!