vorpX drivers eat CPU, but don’t attach anyway

Homepage Forums Technical Support vorpX drivers eat CPU, but don’t attach anyway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tomba4
    Participant

Hi,
    After installing and starting vorpX, I see two processes (“vorpX Driver Control” and “vorpX Driver Control (32 bit)” running and eating their respective CPU cores (~3.5-4.6% per process, while ~4% represents one core fully loaded) even when completely idle.

Is that an expected behavior?

Additionally, even though the vorpX drivers are running, I never managed to get them attached to target process – sometimes there’s a small window visible stating something along the lines of “attaching to process X.exe”, but the game runs in the background on the main monitor.

Any hints about how to debug it?

I’m on Windows 10 20H2, Ryzen 9 3900x (12/24 cores), NVIDIA 2080 + 2070 SUPER (no SLI), Oculus Quest 2 (tried both Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop, doesn’t seem to differ)

Ogrescar
    Participant

You need to make sure the game you’re running is executing on the gpu connected to the headset. Having more than one gpu is a pain in the butt. I’ve made it work correctly most of the time, but problems occasionally pop up, most frequently a game launches on the wrong gpu despite power and performance settings. Hitting win-shift-control-b fixes it sometimes, sometimes I have to reboot.

tomba4
    Participant

The headset is not connected to the GPU in my case (it’s either USB or wireless). Normally games always launch on the same GPU (the one on which the main monitor is connected to), but how does vorpX work in this case? In the task manager I can see the game assigned to a specific GPU engine, but that field is always empty for vorpX…

How did you make it so that correct GPU is chosen most of the time? And do the vorpX processes eat all CPU in your case as well?

Ogrescar
    Participant

In Windows graphics settings, assign OVRServer_x64.exe, OculusClient.exe, and OculusDash.exe to the gpu you want to use for VR. Also assign any games that you want to run in the headset to the same gpu. You may want to add SteamVR and Virtual Desktop in there as well to be thorough. Reboot, say a prayer to the mighty multi-gpu god while the OS is loading, and keep your fingers crossed. If all else fails disable the gpu you don’t want to use in device manager, at least temporarily until you sort everything out.

The vorpx driver cpu usage is normal – they run at real-time priority for reasons Ralf can better explain than me.

Just a note: vorpx does not get involved in gpu selection – that’s entirely up to your system and how it is configured. Vorpx will hook, or attempt to hook, games running on the wrong gpu – they’ll either crash or you’ll get an infinite loading screen in the headset.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As far as any potential multi GPU problems are concerned my advice would be to disable the secondary GPU entirely (e.g. in the device manager), at least for testing purposes. That way you could check whether your problem is indeed related to some GPU mismatch.

Apart from that: if you use Virtual Desktop for streaming, make sure to select ‘SteamVR’ as headset in the vorpX config app. That’s a bit counterintutive, but VD only captures SteamVR unfortunately, not native Oculus. ‘Oculus’ is the right choice for Link, which is the better option BTW. Link has less latency and no extra app is added to the chain that may impact performance.

The control app requires a bit of CPU for monitoring new program starts, shouldn’t be more than ~5% or so on a quad core. If you see more than that and happen to use a third party AV program (anything else than Windows Defender), get rid of it. The monitoring only happens while vorpX isn’t attached to a game though, so either way you don’t lose any CPU cycles while a game is running with vorpX active.

tomba4
    Participant

Thanks for hints, unfortunately still no luck. I still feel something is really wrong with the drivers’ CPU usage: Ralf, you say that they should take 5% on a quad core – I’m on 24 core here, so 5% is A LOT: the processess actually use 100% of their assigned CPU cores (I assume they are both single threaded)

Can you just tell me if I’m doing something wrong?
    1. I set up vorpX to Oculus device
    2. I connect Quest with Oculus Link, I can see my Oculus home in the headset
    3. I set up a vorpX shortcut to the game executable
    4. I load the game profile from the cloud (profile created with vorpX 18.1.5), I confirm that the executable name is the same as the one in the profile
    5. I start the game with the vorpX shortcut – nothing happens in the headset, the game starts on the main monitor as usual

Have I missed a step?

I tried alternative hooking method and running vorpX as admin – no difference. If I alt-tab from the game (running in the full screen), I can see the vorpX window saying that it’s trying to hook to the process, but nothing is really happening…

(ps. I haven’t tried disabling the second GPU, it could be a bit of a problem for me)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If vorpX shows the attach dialog, it was able to basically hook into the game and now waits until the ingame part of vorpX reports back.

If that fails, there either is indeed some issue caused by your dual GPU setup or – just as likely – some hooking conflict with another app on your PC that also hooks into games. More on that in the pinned trouble shooting guide on top of this sub forum.

tomba4
    Participant

I’ve disabled the second GPU and have no apps that I can think of that could hook into games. I’ve disabled HIPS from Eset’s Smart Security AV (together with other types of protections) and that helped with CPU usage from the vorpX drivers (i.e.., they are no longer using 100% CPU), but that didn’t change anything either…

Is it possible that some games simply won’t work? I only have one title that I can test at the moment…

Ogrescar
    Participant

To avoid the frustrations I’ve experienced in the past, I’d recommend that you pull the 2nd gpu out of the box. Disabling the gpu doesn’t always work. If removal is too much of an issue, you can try uninstalling the drivers on the second gpu and turn it into a generic vga device.

Oculus doesn’t support multi-gpu configurations, and Windows 10 and the Nvidia drivers seem to fight over whose in charge of the devices. You can try a lot of things including purging and re-installing your nvidia drivers in safe mode, but it’s easier to just pull the adapter out to see if it’s the real problem. If it’s not, then you know to look elsewhere.

tomba4
    Participant

FYI, turns out that the issue was only with that particular game – when I tried another one, everything worked without any problems (at least using Link, haven’t tried Virtual Desktop yet)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!