VorpX faster framerate for Rift?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX faster framerate for Rift?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mrrcsound
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Got my Rift a couple of weeks ago. So far I have been disappointed on some games, happy with others. My Processor is below spec, AND A10 7800, but I have a RX470 video card which is way above spec. Some games play very smooth, others have a lot of jutter/studder. Adr1ft is one of them that is almost unplayable.

I have not played around with vorpX too much yet, although I did buy it. Is it possible, and is it faster (FPS) to run some of these tiles through VorpX? Does it do the processing differently than the way native Oculus Rift Home handles it?

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

It’s is probably slower in almost any game with true geometric 3d. Vorpx requires even better specs since it isn’t optimized as well as native VR apps. But you could run in some of the simpler 3d modes and get better frame rates. And then there are old games like Portal, Mirror’s Edge or Half-Life 2, that may run well even on your system.

mrrcsound
    Participant

Thank you! It looks like I can’t launch Adr1ft outside of Oculus home, as that is where I purchased it. It just closes. Oh well, maybe I will buy the steam version sometime, that should let me.

I bought Mirrors Edge, it is in the supported list, but something is not right. I go into the game, and my character keeps spinning and spinning!!!! Ahh….! Talk about making me sick. LOL

Still playing with the settings, but if anyone has an idea of what I did wrong, let me know!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to disconnect any gamepad or joystick. If that helps, try setting the “Override X-Box Controller” option in the vorpX ingame menu (input page) to “Off” and disable the gamepad in the game’s options menu.

I vaguely remember someone with a similar issue some time ago where this was caused by the gamepad. Can’t remember anymore which game this was about, so this might not be your issue, but it’s worth a shot.

BTW: Mirror’s Edge has quite heavy head bobbing. It’s fun in VR, but requires sturdy “VR legs”.

mrrcsound
    Participant

Thanks… I disconnected a joystick, and the X box controller. It now is stable. Still need to configure something for movement. I will get to that.

2 more questions if you don’t mind. The best frame rate I am seeing is about 40fps. Seems fairly smooth, could be better. This is using Z-normal. Detail settings such don’t seem to have much effect, so they are all set to highest. Does this seem about right?

Last question. I see black bars on top and bottom of the Rift. I looked through all the settings and hot keys, but am not finding a way to adjust the screen size either in vertical or horiz. It looks like the screen is processing well past the side edges, but not enough on the top or bottom.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Performance obviously depends on your PC and the game resolution/details, but 40fps sound too low for Mirror’s Edge. That means the first one, not the one from this year which probably would run worse. For some games antialiasing can reduce frame rate, especially in Z3D mode, so that may be worth to check. Last time I checked the game quite a while ago I’m fairly certain that even G3D was a lot better even with the GTX970 that I used back than.

If you see bars, you can remove them by setting the ImageZoom to 1.0 and the aspect mode to “Pixel 1:1” on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu. With these two settings the screen is used fully. You may have to adjust the game’s field of view accordingly.

mrrcsound
    Participant

I bought the computer just a month ago or so. It was kickbutt for the price. It has the AMD A-10 7800 Quad Core 3.8Ghz (turbo setting) in it, and 12GB of RAM. I threw in a SSD and a Radeon RX 470 4GB. At the time I was not thinking about VR, I wanted it for flight sim. Then my cousin showed me the PS4 VR, and I about crapped my pants. Had to get the Rift. LOL

The benchmark scores (3DMark) are about 3100. The minimum score (3DMark) for the Rift is 3300, so I come in just a hair shy. Thought I could pull it off, but looks like maybe not.

Now the question is do I go with an i5 or i7, or wait for DX12 and Vulcan to be utilized, which may give the advantage back to AMD again.

Darn hobby making me spend more money… LOL

I will try those two settings you suggested. Thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!