Vorpx not working on fresh Windows 10 install

Homepage Forums Technical Support Vorpx not working on fresh Windows 10 install

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paris
    Participant

Hello, yesterday I made the purchase for vorpx. I had difficulty getting it to attach so I formatted my computer and reinstalled windows. I’ve read these forums extensively, there are no overlay software running. (disabled steam overlay to be safe) No software has been installed other than Steam/vr, vorpx, nvidia driver, and the games I’ve tried to launch which include TF2, Vermintide, lichdom battlemage, and world of warcraft. TF2 gets to steamvr being unresponsive to hl2.exe, then just closes completely leaving steam vr idle. Vermintide is not detected by vorpx or steam vr and just launches as normal. Lichdom runs, and vorpx seems to attach, but only plays in immersive screen mode or theater with no depth rendering. Wow launches, vorpx attempts to attach and then hangs indefinitely.

These results were pretty much the same both before and after a fresh install so I feel I may just be over looking something, or require a minor fix? I’ve attempted to disable windows defender even with no difference, and no other anti virus, monitoring, overlay, streaming, or any type of similar software is installed.

Please advise on next steps to try, thanks in advance!

Paris
    Participant

Just wanted to add, occasionally tf2 will run and vorpx seems to attach but steam vr states the headset is plugged into the wrong video card. I have a GTX 980 with 2 display ports and 2 hdmi and both the Vive and my main monitor are using the HDMI. Other VR titles run fine as well, this issue is only encountered when the vorpx driver is running.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Lichdom is not supported, so it’s perfectly normal that you don’t get 3D. Judging from what I found on the internet it seems to be based on CryEngine 3, so making a custom profile based on the Crysis 3 or the Kingdom Come Delieverance profile is worth a shot. There is no guarantee though that this will work.

If it works, you will get basic stereo 3D. FOV adjustment for FullVR mode would have to be done manually though.

Same for Vermintide 2. That one will be looked into before the next update though, I just can’t promise anything yet.

Some general info: vorpX doesn’t automatically provide stereo 3D for every game you throw at it. For stereo 3D and Direct VR functionality game specific profiles are required. Normally you should see a message in the headset whenever you open an unsupported game to avoid any potential confusion in this regard.

To check beforehand whether there is a profile for a game you want to try you can use the “Local Profiles” list in the config app or the supported games list.

Team Fortress 2 (and other Source engine games): there might be an issue with a recent SteamVR version causing this. I can’t say anything more specific yet, but the issue will be looked into before the next update.

Paris
    Participant

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the reply. I’ve tinkered around with a few profile with kind of a guess and check approach with still no solid results. I understand generally the nature of this driver though so I know its far from perfect software. As far as profile recommendations, are there others from the list that may work well with world of warcraft? Also what makes the profiles so different? Is each profile more of like a handwritten per-app alteration or are there ways to tweak some of the more advanced options in profiles? For example, for hooking does file path of the app trying to be hooked matter at all?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Game specific profiles are vital for vorpX to work. That has nothing to do with vorpX “not being perfect”. Every 3D driver requires profiles for games, and that is even more true for the advanced features like Direct VR. You can’t just open an unsupported game and expect it to work like one that has a full profile with all possible features enabled, which can take many hours to make for a single game.

If you want to create a custom profile for an unsupported game, you should find out which 3d-engine the game uses and then check whether vorpX already supports another game based on the same engine. Using that as a base grants the best chance of success. After making a copy of an existing profile, assign the main .exe of the game you want to try to the copied profile.

There never is a guarantee though that an user profile works, every game is different. Also keep in mind that user profiles created this way won’t have all features that full blown official profiles can offer in the best case.

WoW: make sure to run the official WoW from the Blizzard launcher. That way you will get working Geometry 3D.

Paris
    Participant

Ok so I’ve fiddled around quite a bit with different profiles and still not too much luck. I am getting what seems like some games to attach properly however they will not render anything in the headset and my steam vr shows “monitor and headset plugged into different graphics cards” or something to that nature. When in game the headset is working with tracking, the mouse appears in the center of my field of view on the monitor and works very smoothly, but inside the headset display theres nothing. Only the steam vr waiting room and no game or window of a game at all. Delete here doesnt bring up the vorpx control either. But again, i can move the headset to be pointing at options on the screen and click with the mouse and that is working. I’ve yet to get a game boot together with head tracking and rendering inside of the headset, is there a way around this “plugged into wrong card” error in steam vr? I only have the 1 gpu and both the monitor and headset are plugged in with hdmi.

I just want to add I am very patient, I understand it can take time to get this working properly and if I can even get one game working
    close to intended it will be very worth it for me. I appreciate your help!

Ralf
    Keymaster

First and foremost: as said above there is no guarantee that unsupported/untested games will work. Unsupported games may work with a custom profile, but they don’t necessarily do.

Rgarding the “plugged into wrong card” issue: if this is happening with Half-Life 2 (incl. Gerry’s Mod), Portal or Black Mesa Source, please download the according updated profiles (author [vorpX]) from the cloud, which will solve the issue.

The problem was introduced by a recent SteamVR update.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!