vorpX service

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX service

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mace
    Participant

Ralf,

Since version 18 there is a vorpX service added that is automatically starting on Windows startup.
    Can you tell me what it’s for?

Ralf
    Keymaster

if you have a Vive, it just sits there and does nothing (yet). If you have a Rift it takes care of issues with fullscreen games on some systems that are caused by Oculus 2.0.

Mace
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the info.
    I noticed it was doing something even when vorpX wasn’t running.
    When I tried to close the Oculus software it gave a popup there was still an application running that was using the Rift.
    After stopping the vorpX service that message didn’t show up anymore.

If I run vorpX as an administrator does that give the same effect as the service running? (can imagine you use the service for local system permissions)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only thing it does while the Oculus software is not running is periodically checking whether the Oculus software runs. The service is required to avoid the potential issues mentioned above with Oculus 2.0 and will get more functionality in the future.

It’s not using the Oculus runtime, that was probably an odd conicidence.

Mace
    Participant

Only happened once so far so yeah, could well be an odd coincidence.

Is it an idea to make the startup manual/on demand and trigger the startup and shutdown of the service when vorpX starts and closes?

I know it hardly takes any resources but I like to keep my initial processes on my system clean.
    So far it kept me away from weird issues and like to keep it that way :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you care about that, you probably should care a lot more about all the things Oculus does with your system instead of worrying about <1MB extra memory being used.

Mace
    Participant

Oh believe me, I do – and its all controlled :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!