VorpX stopped working ""JTI/Suspect!131281"" ??

Homepage Forums Technical Support VorpX stopped working ""JTI/Suspect!131281"" ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    RiverRiftUK
    Participant

Hi guys and fantastic job with VorpX, best thing in VR!

But today VorpX has suddenly stopped working? I’ve tried everything i can think of to try to get it to work again.

I did the update two days ago and it was working fine playing F.E.A.R. But today i can’t get any game to load up. I’ve even tried to load up the desktop viewer but it still won’t come on.

Weird thing is that they are running in the background on Task manager. I’m pulling my hair out as to what to do next??

The only thing that i could think of is that suddenly i’m getting a Mcafee notification saying they have quarantined a suspicious file named JTI/Suspect!131281 .Could this have anything to do with it??

Sometimes also it comes up with a window saying “VorpX Control..Injection failed: Unable to hook: Launch.exe”

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks guys

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a false positive.

vorpX injects other programs which some overzealous AV scanners may classifiy as malicious without actually being sure about that. In layman’s terms: your AV scanner takes a guess and its guess is wrong.

PLEASE REPORT THIS AS A FALSE POSITIVE TO YOU AV VENDOR SO THEY CAN FIX THE ISSUE.

In the meantime please exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning. Usually that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX.

In general I would recommend to use Windows Defender, which comes free with Windows and provides a good level of protection without the annoying invasiveness of some other AV scanners.

Netheri
    Participant

Hi guys and fantastic job with VorpX, best thing in VR!

But today VorpX has suddenly stopped working? I’ve tried everything i can think of to try to get it to work again.

I did the update two days ago and it was working fine playing F.E.A.R. But today i can’t get any game to load up. I’ve even tried to load up the desktop viewer but it still won’t come on.

Weird thing is that they are running in the background on Task manager. I’m pulling my hair out as to what to do next??

The only thing that i could think of is that suddenly i’m getting a Mcafee notification saying they have quarantined a suspicious file named JTI/Suspect!131281 .Could this have anything to do with it??

Sometimes also it comes up with a window saying “VorpX Control..Injection failed: Unable to hook: Launch.exe”

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks guys

I get this too. It’s VorpXs’s .TMP file in users/”user”/appdata/local/temp/vorpx/ which gives the false positive and as it gets different name every time, it can’t be excluded in mcafees real time scan, AND in Mcafee there isn’t any way to exclude whole directory (i’ve already excluded everything in actual VorpX install directory), so only way is to disable the real time scanning during VorpX usage. Also, in VorpX it would be good to exclude mcafees runtimes, at least the UI runtime.

It would be great to have Vorpx guys themself to inform these false positives to Mcafee and other antivirus firms, as we customers have bought a non-alpha/beta product and therefore i think we have also bought some customer servive not to inform about these incompatibility between VorpX and our antivirus to their makers? At least i’m not changing yearly subscription of Mcafee to Windows Defender because of VorpXs false positives..

Demosthenes
    Participant

There’s really no need to use invasive anti-virus scanners or even malware scanners if you have the free in-built Windows Defender on, especially if using Windows 10.
    It does everything those scanners do. The days of needing to pay for good protection against malware are long gone.

Commercial anti-virus solutions will always have a problem with Vorpx, or any similar programs. They are well known for giving out false positives, especially when they use heuristics [in other words guessing] on files. you can browse the Oculus store and see people complaining about MacAfee [and others] deciding that their game is a virus.

The developers of these games or programs can’t do anything about it, since it is the engine of the commerical product that is making the error. Even if you report it to them, it will happen again with an update, because the engine again will guess that a program that injects itself into memory as Vorpx does is a virus.

If you are going to pay you should choose a program that allows you to exclude directories, as Windows Defender does.

nieda113
    Participant

@ demosthenes windows defender does a decent job,, malewarebytes does it better.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Demosthenes is 100% right. Some AV scanners use highly aggressive heuristics (guesswork in plain English) that produce a lot of false positives. What’s worse is that they don’t even care to tell their users when they are just guessing. Instead they falsely claim on a regular basis to know they found something malicious with dramatic looking warnings.

Instead of letting yourself scare by software that apparently tries to justify its existence by scaring you as much as possible, switch to something that does a reasonable and good job like Windows Defender for example.

Netheri
    Participant

So basically you guys say that it’s not on game or software developers account in any way that it’s software works with different av solutions? Have you even considered, that there’s still lot of win7 or win8 users who don’t have Defender as an option? How about the fact, that i. e. Mcafee doesn’t bug (at least with my setup) about other programs TMP files, or if there’s heuristic problem, the single file exclusion usually is enough. Try to remove Vorpx fanboy-glasses and see outside the virtual box.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s the AV vendor’s responsibility to provide a solution that actually works without creating false positives or at least ensure that such issues are actually solved if they occur. For the first few updates samples were sent to all major AV vendors that caused issues every time after an update. While those specific samples were then whitelisted, some AV vendors apparently are unable/unwilling to actually solve such issues for good and continue to make problems with each new vorpX version.

If you are using an invasive AV program whos vendor was not able to address this issue for good until now, please either report such problems as a false positive to them or exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning.

Netheri
    Participant

Was Mcafee one of these companies, which didn’t react? If so, my bad and i will contact them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

McAfee whitelists individual samples that are provided to them and with the next version the problem starts again. Unfortunately it’s just not feasible to play this game every time a new vorpX version is released.

Netheri
    Participant

Yes, i agree. And as there ISN’T that whole dir exclusion possibility in mcafee, problem persists. Hopefully many Mcafee users who use VorpX read this and contacts Mcafee about VorpX whitelisting. And request whole directory exclusion option at least. But i must underline, that VorpX still is the only non-free software, which the Mcafee haven’t liked at least on my system.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unlike most other programs vorpX hooks into other processes.

As much as I’d like – after all this is as annoying for me as it is for you – I can’t really offer you any other solution to this issue that recommending to either report this as false positive to you AV vendor each time a new vorpX version gezs released, they usually will white list it with a day or two, or as more permanent solution switch to something that gives you more control and allows to exclude vorpX.

BTW: if you are on Windows 7/8 there are Microsoft Security Essentials which is basically the same thing as the built in Defender for Windows 10.

Netheri
    Participant

Btw, does somebody know, what is the process which creates those .TMP files?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You basically have three options to solve this issue:

1. Excluding vorpX from your AV scanner if possible
    2. Reporting a false positive to your AV vendor each time a new vorpX version is released.
    3. Switching to a less invasive AV solution, e.g. Defender on Windows 10 or Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7/8.

Netheri
    Participant

BTW: if you are on Windows 7/8 there are Microsoft Security Essentials which is basically the same thing as the built in Defender for Windows 10.

Yeah, these days. Meaning it’s _basically_ the same thing as. But still, what i read from this years AV-tests and from their reviewers, it’ still suggested to use av solutions instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!