VorpX with Windows Mixed Reality HMD

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX with Windows Mixed Reality HMD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kennysalvi
    Participant

I am an enthusiast VorpX user (at present I own an Oculus Rift CV1) and I was wondering is VorpX can be used with the new “Windows Mixed Reality HMD” range as well, is there any news about that?

kennysalvi
    Participant

Hi Ralf, I have just seen you already answered a similar question on August so basically you are waiting for the HMD release for testing. I take the chance to bring at your attention another problem that is non related to these headsets. I am also interested into the new Pimax 8K that support a total resolution 7.689×2.160 (2 displays x 4K) but since I have a main screen limited at 4K due to HDMI 2.0 port can VorpX works with resolutions not exposed by the main screen? Direct VR might help that way?

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

The Pimax is useless for Vorpx. 4k or 8k. I have a GTX 1080 ti and it has a hard time running games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 at native 1920×1440. I actually run at 1600×1200 and I’m not maxing out the settings at all, but I do have a few fairly intensive mods.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

The Skyrim engine does have its issues but it definitely can handle resolutions higher than 1920×1440 in vorpx. I am currently running Skyrim (old) with 15 visual mods at 2800×2160, high settings in main Skyrim menu…z-buffer…at 90fps, with the odd drop due to original engine optimization issues in certain cities/areas. This is a known Skyrim problem as it happens even in 2D in the same areas.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Yeah, I should have mentioned I’m talking about G3D as I assumed most people want to play with that, whenever possible. You can definitely go much higher if you are playing in Z-buffered 3D, but I still think 8k is pushing it :)
    As far as I know the only thing Pimax is god at is watching movies. As it’s head-tracking and drivers are pretty sloppy, but maybe something has changed since last I read up on it.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Kennysalvi, I’m also a bit intrigued at the new Pimax…and the old Pimax as a possibility of playing games like Skyrim in VR at higher res in vorpx…knowing that Skyrim has no positional tracking. Since (as a Rift user myself) all I need presently (for games like Skyrim) is a boost in visual VR resolution…since open world games like Skyrim need that boost…but only in the open world areas!!

The new 8k version does have 2 4k screens…but…they are doing some driver/hardware level magic that flips 4k between each lens at a high framerate…thus tricking the brain into thinking it is seeing a higher resolution. So in actual fact it’s not really showing or processing 8k imagery…it’s still 4k…or what they are calling 4k/8k. It will be some time before we see 8k…even in 2D screen technology. Presently, the 1080 Ti can do 8k but not at a fps rate than is worth even doing…and probably only suited for desktop style graphics where fps is not an issue.

It will be interesting to see if this product can do what they are claiming.

kennysalvi
    Participant

Thank you all for replies, I am very well informed about Pimax 8K, that is why I am asking Ralf for the specific problem of 8Kx4K resolution (as for my original post). Of course, in any case, to run it properly the new Volta GPU is a must…

Ralf
    Keymaster

If your monitor doesn’t support a resolution, you can either try to run games windowed or use a downsampling resolution (DSR or “Dynamic Super Resolution” for nVidia). That can be enabled in the graphics driver control panel. Doesn’t work with all games, but for those it does work with, it’s a viable option.

For most games it’s probably better to stick to lower resolutions even on a 4K HMD though, after all decent performance is at least as important as resolution. The 4K display still provides a better image (less screen door effect).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!