vorpX won’t install

Homepage Forums Installation and Registration Support vorpX won’t install

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    War_Radish
    Participant

Firstly, apologies if this looks like a re-post. Although my post count apparently already=1, my last post is not showing up for me in the forum, so I will try again! Anyway, this version contains a little more detail, so please bear with me!

I bought vorpX today, but I can’t get it to install. I’m on Windows 10 (fully updated) using standard MS security (not 3rd party anti-virus/firewall) and the virus definitions etc. are also fully up to date.

I run vorpX_setup.exe and allow it to make changes to the drive, accept the licence agreement, tell it to install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX (I’ve also tried installing to D:, with the same result) and then this error pops up and the install fails and rolls back:

vorpX error

A couple of seconds later, Windows Security tells me that protected folder access has been blocked, as so:

vorpX error 2

Selecting “Allow on device” doesn’t work. Same thing happens every time I re-try to install. I noticed that the installation app/process called “vorpX_Setup.tmp” is being appended with what looks like random characters every time I try to run the install, which would probably explain why “allowing” isn’t working (because the new file name is not the same as the one which was previously permitted access).

I’ve been trying for hours and I’m now extremely disappointed and regretting my purchase. I am not prepared to disable windows security completely to install this. Can anyone please help?

Cheers!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no problem installing vorpX with the default Windows Defender settings, just tried after updating to the latest definitions to be sure.

Please disable the ‘Controlled Folder Access’ feature temporarily, it is not part of the default Defender settings. With ‘Controlled Folders Access’ enabled you have to allow access to your system’s documents folder for each app manually, which is what prevents the installer from working correctly.

vorpX only stores non-essential background images for cinema mode in your documents folder, so you can re-enable the feature again after installing vorpX if you want. Keep in mind though that many games store settings and savegames there, which also will not work unless you allow access for each game that uses the documents folder separately.

On a side note: judging from the folder path you seem to have configured your entire documents folder to be uploaded to OneDrive. Not sure if that’s intentional, but you might want to reconsider that unless you are 100% sure that you want to upload any file that gets stored in your system’s main document folder to OneDrive.

War_Radish
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I’ll have another look over the next day or two and I’ll get back to you if I have additional questions.

Also, thanks for your suggestion about the document folder. I recently installed Windows 10 on this new PC and I hadn’t noticed what OneDrive was sneakily doing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!