VR HELPER?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Electryic
    Participant

Just bought a VIVE after having a terrible never ending problems with WMR

I bought VORPX back w/ my DK2 so know the ins and outs.

I was expecting everything to work out of the box with the VIVE… it seems this isnt’ the case??

Set options to STeam VR, turned on VorpX I am getting a bunch of windows popping up saying its trying to attach to VRHelper with a message about how it can take a long time.

Is VR Helper needed what is it how do I get rid of it?

And where are all the profiles.

Electryic
    Participant

Reading Exception of Data Base when trying to get any local or Cloud profiles.. I have no profiles.

Not meaning to sound impatient here I just went through the nightmare of WIndows 10 and WMR, my first experience with things that don’t work and the infamous Windows 10 quote “Something went wrong”… The Horror lasted 4 months and costed me several hundred bucks in buying new components even though WMR check said rated my computer as Ultra for VR. WMR Ended up in the trash can.

Happy to report the VIVE Works great… like night and day… rock solid with Steam VR. I was expecting VORPX to be the same but so far it is feeling like a rewind back to the WMR days.

Any help appreciated, not sure if I just caught the service on a bad day or what. I am getting “Reading Exception of Database” and a “trying to attach to VR Helper” windows .. many of them.

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

If no profiles are present, almost certainly the installation is corrupt. Try to reinstall vorpX. If you need a new installer, use this link.

Not sure what that vrhelper is, but it’s definitely not supposed to be hooked, so you can safely add it to the exclude list in the config app.

Electryic
    Participant

Hi Ralf: 6 months later I’ve decided to give VorpX another spin, on a completely new windows 7 installation with all required updates and just did a fresh install of vorpX and I’m getting the exact same message, no profiles. Any insight on this since the last time?

Ralf
    Keymaster

On Windows 7 you have to make sure that DotNet 4.6.2 is installed. The vorpX installer is supposed to take care of that, but that may fail, e.g. if it can’t access the internet.

vorpX itself should still work fine though, only the config app needs DotNet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344

BTW: vorpX won’t support Windows 7 (which is almost 10 years old now) forever. The latest Oculus hardware survey shows less than 3% Win 7 users, so at some point in the not too distant future supporting it will make no sense anymore for a VR app.

Electryic
    Participant

Not sure what Microsoft is paying you but I’ll double it.

BTW: vorpX won’t support Windows 7 (which is almost 10 years old now) forever. The latest Oculus hardware survey shows less than 3% Win 7 users, so at some point in the not too distant future supporting it will make no sense anymore for a VR app.

Not sure what Microsoft is paying you but I’ll double it. All jokes aside I hope you consider the maintaining of one’s integrity as enough sense to at least simply keep a version of VorpX (i.e w/o the latest features and updates) for Windows 7 users. There should be no reason to have to purchase an upgrade to software to continue to use something that was bought with the stipulation that it required Windows 7, I think you can agree with me on that.

I bought a $400 20GB Iriver media player jukebox back around the time of Windows XP. Year or so later, Windows 7 came out. Windows continued to ‘update’ windows xp, one of those updates stopping support for the $400 device I had purchased a short time before (stopping completely, i.e. the device was no longer detected by Windows media player in WinXP or Win7, it was simply removed, most likely because Iriver went out of business and probably didn’t pay for new ‘certification’). Just because Iriver went out of business and refused to pay the blood money to Microsoft to continue to get its stamp of approval doesn’t mean that the $400 device that I purchased should stop having any functionality at all. But thats what it did… I could no longer even access the device at all and the $400 20GB Iriver jukebox was garbage. On that day I swore I would get my vengeance on Microsoft. They didn’t have to remove support for that device they could have simply left the information/functionality alone. But they did remmove it because they knew there would be no voice to stop them and no one would know the difference and the worst that would happen would be the sale of a new generation of media players. Similarly, I purchased VorpX for $50 a few years ago which at the time said the requirements for using it was Windows 7. I hope you can agree that I shouldn’t be forced to purchase Windows 10 to continue to have access to it. Hopefully you can just leave a version for Windows 7 that stops development.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!