Warpy effect when looking around in full VR mode

Homepage Forums Technical Support Warpy effect when looking around in full VR mode

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    HAX0R3D
    Participant

I just started trying out some full VR games and I notice this warpy effect when looking around.

It’s very subtle and it’s like the world twists a little bit when you look around.
    Is this normal or is there some setting I need to change?

I’m playing Enclave which is a super old game so maybe thats why?

Ralf
    Keymaster

A zoomed in or ‘warpy’ image in FullVR means that the game’s field of view doesn’t match the FOV of your headset, which is important for FullVR mode. For many supported games vorpX can handle that automatically, but if not you may have to take care of it yourself.

Check the ‘Essential Hints Guide’ in the vorpX help for the details. You can access it from the config app. The guide (in general) explains all options you have in regard to dealing with FOV. I couldn’t really explain it better here than it is explained already in the help.

RJK_
    Participant

I am curious, do you play Enclave through openGL, or DirectX with the profile from the cloud ?

HAX0R3D
    Participant

Thanks. I was using Direct X and profile from the cloud.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

So I didn’t do this game but I was able to get Prey working. It looks pretty good a little bit low res but the perspective and head tracking feels like VR now.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can run games at any resolution with vorpX. The higher, the better the image quality (at the cost of performance). If you have an nVidia GPU, you can even add resolutions to your PC that are higher than what your monitor can display. The vorpX help is your friend again: the ‘Custom Resolutions’ section contains a step-by-step guide.

Once you added the custom resolutions, use something like 1920×1440 (or even higher if possible without sacrificing too much performance). If supported by a game profile you may be able to set a preferred quality on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu. vorpX shows a hint in the top left corner of the game window if this feature is available for a profile.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

This is good to hear I’ll give it a try. Actually these are the two main reasons I’ve been avoiding full VR mode because every game I’ve tried has had these 2 problems. I just assumed peoe we’re playing it like that.

Cinema mode is nice in that many games look awesome right from the start.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You may want to check the ‘Good Full VR Games for Beginners’ list. Aside from adjusting the resolution to match your PCs performance these pretty much work out of the box in FullVR mode. vorpX takes care of the FOV etc. automatically via its DirectVR feauture. I spare you RTFM hint this time :), you can also find it here.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

I’ll try FEAR 2 since I own that game. I tried the Prey demo since it’s on that list and it’s definitely not working automatically. When you start the game it’s 100% warpy until you go in and change the FOV.
    I also had to tweak the head look multiplier a bit.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Have an eye on any messages that vorpX may show in the headset and in the top left corner of the game window. In many games vorpX handles FOV by making automated changes to the .ini files of a games, which may require one or sometimes two restarts.

Whenever that is the case vorpX shows a notification that recommends to restart the game in the headset and in the top left corner of the game window.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

Yeah those messages are helpful. I added the custom resolutions and Prey looks insanely good now. Makes me want to upgrade my GPU.

Scaling is perfect and all warpyness is gone. Now that I have an idea of what “good” is supposed to look like I can go back and mess around with Enclave.

I honestly didn’t realize it could look this perfect.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!