Was something changed with gamepad settings?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Was something changed with gamepad settings?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

I normally don’t use the VorpX gamepad keymapper for games that don’t native Xbox support. I prefer to instead use Joy2key and a little bit of voiceattack to fill in any gaps and/or improve immersion. I do use the gamepad to access the VorpX menu, but for actual game use I use a third party tool

There was a recent update to VorpX and now my Gamepad isn’t working correctly. There are now two jump buttons on my gamepad, and another button changes to third person view which is a waste of a button and it messes up the FOV of my game. One of my xbox buttons (I think the start button) even crashes.

Is there some kind of conflict going on? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I didn’t change anything in Oblivion or anything else aside from updating VorpX. I suspect joy2key is conflicting with VorpX’s own keymapper maybe not I’m not 100% certain. Anyone have any idea?

My setup was working perfectly before the update.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Update: It does seem to be a VorpX issue. When I start Oblivion without VorpX there is no gamepad support. When I do, Gamepad support works but it’s not ideally mapped and the xbox “menu” button crashes Oblivion.

In the previous version of VorpX, my Xbox gamepad *only* worked for accessing the vorpx menu + edgepeek and had no effect on the game otherwise. I used joy2key for gamepad keymapping.

Now VorpX has a less than ideal mapped default control scheme (at least compared with the Oblivion joy2key profile) and when I press the menu button on my xbox pad, the game crashes. :(

Is it possible to just completely disable this ingame mapping for Oblivion (which seems broken anyway since the menu button causes a crash) but still use the Xbox controller to access the VorpX menu + edgepeek like before?

Also it turns out the crashing I was describing earlier is the game randomly crashing whenever I bring up the VorpX menu. This is so frustrating because the game was perfectly tweaked and buttery smooth. To make things worse is I selected in VorpX to restore to defaults and now the VorpX tweaked custom resolution is gone. How do I reapply to VorpX tweaks into the game?

markbradley1982
    Participant

Oblivion is completely unplayable right now.

1. I can only bring up the VorpX menu with my Xbox once while ingame and it’ll crash if I bring it up a second time with the xbox controller.

2. There seems to be no way for me to disable my Xbox controller for Oblivion ingame movement in VorpX. I only can seem to be able to disable being able to interact with the VorpX menu with my Xbox controller which I DON’T want to do.

I really wish I could just rollback 1 or 2 updates of VorpX because Oblivion was playing absolutely perfectly before and I didn’t change anything nor install any new mods or anything like that.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Alright well I finally managed to fix it. There were 3 different applications all wanting control of my Xbox for Oblivion: joy2key, vorpX, and Oblivion itself. I haven’t changed any settings in Oblivion and it was working perfectly a couple of weeks ago when I last played. But my Oblivion ini file was changed, and I suspect VorpX is handling gamepads differently now too.

1. In my Oblivion ini file the joystick was mysteriously enabled (bUse Joystick=1) while this setting in my previous buttery smooth Oblivion VR game session was disabled (bUse Joystick=0) because I don’t like Oblivion’s native joystick support and normally prefer to give Joy2Key control instead because it is more flexible.

2. I had to turn off Vive controller support (VorpX maps keys to the Vive wand) because it was automatically mapping keys to my Xbox too. I remember having Vive controller support enabled in the past without it automatically mapping keys to my Xbox. Did a recent VorpX update change this behavior?

Now everything is normal and I can use access edgepeek and the VorpX menu with my Xbox too.

Well I guess I’m done with Oblivion for today and will actually play it tomorrow. I really need to play some Rec Room Royale now to unwind from that frustration.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only recent gamepad related change was a fix for gamepads not working correctly in some Direct VR titles (e.g. Portal 2). Didn’t have a chance to check yet, but incidentally I got another remotely similar sounding report yesterday, so I will check whether that fix maybe had any unwanted side effects.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Checked this today.

What you see is the intended behaviour. When VR controllers are reported as active and set to keyboard/mouse emulation (which is the default), they override the gamepad setting in the vorpX menu.

If possible without unwanted side effects, I’ll change the way this is handled, otherwise I’ll add an according hint to the vorpX menu that will be shown whenever the above is the case to avoid future confusion.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Checked this today.

What you see is the intended behaviour. When VR controllers are reported as active and set to keyboard/mouse emulation (which is the default), they override the gamepad setting in the vorpX menu.

If possible without unwanted side effects, I’ll change the way this is handled, otherwise I’ll add an according hint to the vorpX menu that will be shown whenever the above is the case to avoid future confusion.

Understood. However when the VR Vive controllers are reported as active, the keys weren’t just bound to the vive controllers but to my xbox one gamepad too. Was that an intended side effect? I fixed it by disabling Vive controller support since I wasn’t using them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

When motion controllers are active in keyboard/mouse emulation mode, the gamepad also is set to kb/mouse emulation mode regardless of how you set it up. That is necessary since some games do not work correctly with concurrent kb/mouse and gamepad input.

However, thanks to your hint VR controllers can only be considered active now after pressing a button or using a trackpad/thumbstick once which makes it far less likely that this override gets activated unwanted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!