Website technical overhaul

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Website technical overhaul

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

The forum software’s default “freshness” time display doesn’t work anymore since for performance reasons pages are served from a static cache now instead of dynamically created from the database each time a page is viewed. The “freshness” value would be the same until someone makes a new post or the cached page gets updated for other reasons.

Theoretically it would be possible to circumvent that by extracting a freshness value from a timestamp on the client side via JavaScript, but I think my time is better spent elsewhere TBH.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Yeah, in that case, don’t worry about it. I’d much prefer vorpX itself get more Ralf time :) Thanks.

onetoo
    Participant

Great layout. Couple of things to point out. It looks like the time and date is off according to my region even after I log in. 5/9/21:1:54pm is marked as the latest contribution, but it’s currently around 8am EST where I am. Also, when I click on a post containing a video, occasionally the video would open up in a separate window without me prompting it.

Edit: This comment is timestamped for 2:03pm though it should be 8:03am est.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The timestamps are displayed as server time, not your local time, regardless whether you are logged in or not. Due to the newly introduced static page cache displaying local times instead would require the same client side JavaScript workaround I mentioned above. Possible, but almost certainly not something I will spend time for.

Do you have an example post that shows the video issue? Would like to look into that, but didn’t encounter the issue myself so far.

moarveer
    Participant

Looks a lot better now, finally :)

onetoo
    Participant

Hey Ralf, The issue with the pop-ups is on my end. Something strange is happening with my Chrome plugins. I disabled the pop-up blocker pro plugin, and I’m no longer getting prompts or pop-ups. I can just keep it disabled for your site. For reference, the issue happened on the RE Village page and others that contained video.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll check that on occasion, although I’m not really sure whether I can do something about it. Sounds as if the Chrome plugin somehow clashes with the WordPress theme used for the site. Probably solvable, but I don’t think I’ll dive that deep into the PHP/JavaScript stuff of the theme. Things like that can easily cost a few days that I’d rather spend on vorpX.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!