What is Crystal Image exactly?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion What is Crystal Image exactly?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ogrescar
    Participant

Is this a sharpening filter, supersampling, anti-aliasing, or something completely different? I’ve noticed a slight increase in pixel density toggling it on in some games and none in other games. I usually have it on, but I’d like to know what it is actually doing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

‘Crystal Image’ combines several things that affect the final headset resolution and the way the game image is sampled in the headset render stage. There shouldn’t really be any need to change it normally. ‘Low’ may be worth a shot in case of performance problems, but typically doesn’t really change much performance wise. ‘Aggressive’ produces a crisper image, but that comes at the cost of added sampling artifacts. So generally it’s best to stick to ‘Normal’.

mcrustk2
    Participant

Is Crystal Image still an option? I couldnt find it anywhere in the VorpX (latest version) HUD when in-game A:CM.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Has recently been changed to ‘Clarity’, which sounds more self-explanatory. Also got a shiny new upscale/sharpening method that replaced the prior sharpening filter.

Upscaling/sharpening can only do so much though. Nothing replaces real resolution, so for a really crisp image you have to run games at higher resolutions than the usual default res. For older games even 2400p might be possible with a decent GPU, for newer, more demanding games you have to find a compromise between resolution and performance that fits your PC.

BTW: Make sure to check the ‘Custom Resolutions’ section in the vorpX help. Has a step-by-step guide that explains how to add resolutions your PC cannot display normally.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!