why is a game frame rate of half or more my refresh rate insufficient?

Homepage Forums Technical Support why is a game frame rate of half or more my refresh rate insufficient?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    orthicviper
    Participant

My refresh rate on my Index HMD is set to 80hz, and according to VorpX, when my game FPS is 60-70 the game seems excessively unsmooth until I’m at about 75 or more game FPS. This isn’t regarding any particular game but all the games I have tried.

So I played the same game again after setting my HMD refresh rate to 144hz, and then even when my game FPS was 80 or more, it was much less smooth compared to playing with the refresh rate at 80hz and the game FPS being close to 80 FPS.

So it seems VorpX requires the game FPS to match or exceed your refresh rate in order to be smooth? I was thinking having the game FPS half of the refresh rate was sufficient for smoothness? This makes me wish I could lower my Index refresh rate to 60.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not exactly sure why you are experiencing that, Index behaves very stable at uneven franerate ratios under normal circumstances. Try to reset all SteamVR settings to default and do a factory reset for vorpX. If the issue still occurs afterwards, capping the franmerate to exactly half the headset refresh rate in the vorpX menu instead of using an uneven/fluctuating ratio might be worth a shot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!