Why is it so difficult to add hand tracking in old non-VR games?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Why is it so difficult to add hand tracking in old non-VR games?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AlwaysMoreOrLess
    Participant

I am not a modder nor am I familiar with coding so this may be a silly question. But, how come some older games like Doom or Half Life have the capability for full VR immersion (I.e. hand tracking, locomotion, physics) but others like Halo or Clive Barkers Jericho do not? Is it difficult to create hand models and tracking for these?

I would love to try to create something! I’m new to Vorpx but have been tweaking Dying light for the last few days using my HP Reverb G2 and am very excited at the possibilities. I know there’s native support but it’s nauseating without head tracking so I’m using a cloud profile. Is there a way to combine the 2 methods? I can’t seem to get the full 3D immersion from the cloud profiles like the native option. Lastly, is it possible to add in hands like people did with half life using Gary’s mod or something?

Michelangel0
    Participant

“Is it difficult to create hand models and tracking for these? ”

Well you have to be a developer of each game to answer that, it depends also on how much the engine the game is using that can assist you on developing it.
    So I should say in general to be …yes… VERY DIFFICULT.

If the game allows mods, great, but the tracking of the VR controllers has to be supported in advance and other factors be ready before the modder can even think of modifying the control scheme or even adding models or interactions between models, etc.

So basically in general: forget it, is out of your reach as a player to add these.

AlwaysMoreOrLess
    Participant

@Michelangel0 thank you. Big sad now haha.

jjensson
    Participant

@Michelangel0

Out of general curiosity: Isn’t the VR controller tracking done by the VR driver (Oculus software)?

But yeah, the game needs to hook into that data and make use of it, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!