Why some games run poorly with vorpx desktop viewer?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Why some games run poorly with vorpx desktop viewer?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ender772
    Participant

I was trying to play high on life yesterday using the desktop viewer but it ran like garbage and i had to stop. then i booted the game normally and it ran perfectly smooth on all very high settings. why does it run poorly

Smoils
    Participant

Idk why, but thats main reason I never use it.

Why were you trying it for high on life when that game works perfectly with normal vorpx way. Only issue is you need to set oculus as default openxr to play on steamvr and steamvr as default openxr to play on oculus because otherwise it spews errors.

And fixing game fov requires cheat engine.

Ender772
    Participant

its not on steam. its on xbox game pass

Ender772
    Participant

and i did not realize it had a profile for vr. ill give it a shot…if it works being on game pass

ToxicMike
    Participant

All desktop-viewers tend to make certain games run more or less troublesome, like stuttering a little or stuttering to the point of being nearly unplayable.

While free desktop-viewers are the absolute worst on pc, the vorpX-desktopviewer does a far better job with it, but still you get the best results with making vorpX hook.

Ender772
    Participant

Ive never had a problem with it before. But i cant play it in vr mode nor desktop mode without it stuttering like mad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The issue with using desktop capture instead of hooking is that vorpX in that case doesn’t have a clear idea when a game frame actual began rendering and also game and rendering FPS may not match under some circumstances. On top of that the Windows desktop capture API is fairly unstable in terms of frametime, i.e. some frames takes longer to arrive than others. All of that accounts to the stutter you may encounter when playing games with the desktop viewer. Affects any desktop capture, not just vorpX. That’s why even for playing in 2D hooking into a game is superior by far.

There may be a way to improve the situation, although probably at a price (added latency). I have some experiments in that respects on my mid-term to-do list, depending on what I find more annoying in the end those may or may not make it into release code.

Ender772
    Participant

I play games all the time though in vorpx desktop and this is the first and only game to lag and stutter at all. Could the new update have messed it up…i will try other games tonight to be sure

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you try this with new beta version? If so, it would be great if you could check with the current release version again. Shouldn’t be the case, but not entirely impossible that the new beta behaves worse than the last official release.

The desktop viewer has been almost entirely rewritten for the latest beta version. If you experience issues with the beta that aren’t there in the last release build, it would be great if you could let me know. Please include information about the game(s) you tried, otherweise I can’t even try to replicate the issue.

You can switch back to the non-beta build by reinstalling with the last official web installer. If you didn’t keep it: https://www.vorpx.com/request-new-download/

Ender772
    Participant

thanks. i will test it out tonight.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just checked a bunch of games with my current dev build with desktop viewer and the new virtual monitor feature and I’m pretty sure that way the desktop viewer works better than it ever did before.

I still have to iron out a few things, but there almost certainly will be a new beta release this weekend. If you can’t solve your issue now, wait until then and try the next beta.

Apart from that: As usual make sure you have nothing (and I mean *NOTHING* :)) running in the background that might also hook into games potentially.

Ender772
    Participant

So i tested it over the weekend. I had never noticed a difference in graphics or computing power from using vorpx with my games. But i suppose my computer is a few years old now and is starting to feel the difference with new games. IT seems to run fine on medium graphics with vorpx. Extra high without vorpx.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!