Will the Valve Index require a vorpX update?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Will the Valve Index require a vorpX update?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jjensson
    Participant

This is probably speculation. But on the other hand some things are known about Index: lighthouse tracking, SteamVR, Index/Knuckles controllers etc.

So, Ralf, do you think that the Valve Index will require a vorpX update, or would it be usable out of the box with SteamVR?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Making statements about devices that haven’t actually been checked yet has an unfortunate potential to backfire, but in this case I’m quite confident to say that the headset itself will work out of the box with 99% certainty.

For the new ‘Knuckles’ controllers however a new VR controller type will have to be added to vorpX, i.e. Knuckles specific program logic as well as 3d models, which will be done as soon as possible.

jjensson
    Participant

Yeah, i just wanted to hear your prediction, based on the few infos we have and on the technical background that you know better than any of us laymen. :)

I’m aware that some things can change at any time.

dellrifter22
    Participant

The Index definitely has my attention until we know more about it. I’m hoping for a resolution upgrade beyond vive pro, but that might not happen.

For the purpose of playing seated games at my desk I’ve also got my eye on the new wave of WMR. HP Reverb and now Acer Ojo. Native 2160×2160 RGB seems to be the increase I’m looking for. Comfort as good as the rift is also a plus.

I’ve never owned a WMR before, does the inside-out tracking work fine while sitting in front of your monitor? Does it suffer from any drifting?

Do I have to have the controllers turned on to use the headset for vorpX?

Does any type of asw work with wmr? Do steamvr ss settings apply?

Anything you dislike about wmr reguarding vorpX?

jjensson
    Participant

My impression was that WMR is not as problem free and had not such a reliable tracking of the headset (!) like Oculus units.

Is this still true?

And furthermore, in support of dellrifter’s Q: I always wondered if vorpX uses the timewarp (now v2.0) of the Oculus runtime or it’s own implementation.

dborosev
    Participant

I’ve been loving my Odyssey+ since i got it. Huge display upgrade for sure from the Vive. No major tracking issues.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In my experience the WMR tracking works rather well, doubly so for seated playing with gamepad or mouse/kb where minor issues like no controller tracking behind your back don’t apply at all. Controllers do not have to be on, frame interpolation also works.

The biggest gripe I have in regard to vorpX is that the WMR software switches off mouse/kb when entering VR, so more often than not you have to hit WIN+Y to restore normal input after launching a game with vorpX. For whatever reason there doesn’t seem to be way to change that. Not exactly tragic, but a unnecessary nuisance.

jjensson
    Participant

Cheers Ralf! The Index specs are revealed now, and preorders are starting today.
    https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index

Do you think that a VorpX update for the Index and the controllers (Knuckles) can be available by the time of shipping the hardware (end of June), or will you need some development time (even the hardware itself)?

I’ve still not decided between Rift S and Index, and i’m pondering about how useful would it be to preorder an Index bundle (it’s soooo expensive!!!)…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please note that the below is an assumption, to be 100% sure I will need a device, so take everything I say below with a grain of salt. I’ll pre-order an Index as soon as pre-orders are open, although somehow I have a feeling that similar to Pimax 5K/8K it will pretty much stay a niche headset at the announced price.

That said, unless the canted display design of the headset doesn’t introduce any issues, the headset should work out of the box with no changes required on vorpX’s end. I don’t really expect that to be an issue though, Valve will probably handle it similar to Pimax who are offering a compatibility setting for apps that work with parallel cameras.

The Index controllers will probably work in a limited way out of the box, acting as Vive wands. Full support will be added as soon as possible.

If you don’t consider the ~$500 price difference to the Rift S spare money, I’d say the Rift S might be the better choice. If you can afford the Index relatively easy, things are different, of course.

jjensson
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf, for the elaborate answer.

I’m gravitating to Rift S ATM, but will need to decide soon. Some Index previews stated that the Index preorder will be limited quantity, so if i decide to go Index, it needs to happen in the next hour or two, or i’ll probably miss the first shipment. :-/

slydk1982
    Participant

I just preordered the Index yesterday :) Im looking forward for a little upgrade over my rift. I hope vorpx will work with it, coz im using vorpx more and more.

jjensson
    Participant

First batch got sold out within less than an hour. Now they removed even the “Shipping Sep 31 2019” batch. :-O

You guys got one of the early shipments?

For now i ordered a Rift S myself, and according to Amazon i can play by the end of May. []-)

slydk1982
    Participant

I was one of the lucky ones and got the first batch :) Within the first 15 minutes I got through and placed my preorder :)
    I can´t wait to try that thing :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I also was fast enough for the first batch, although more or less by accident TBH. Just happened to check the Steam page at the right time.

jjensson
    Participant

I’m happy for you, guys! I’m happy for me as well. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!