Win10/Fallout3: Unable to use game without d3d9.dll

Homepage Forums Technical Support Win10/Fallout3: Unable to use game without d3d9.dll

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Foxpur
    Participant

To get my (Steam) Fallout 3 on Windows 10 to even start up I needed to add the d3d9.dll file. Without it I can’t go past the basic game menu, it just crashed 100% of the time…
    However, this means there is no way to load VorpX to use it in 3D…

Any suggestions

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX cannot work correctly if another DLL also hooks into the game. d3d9.dll is a system dll that normally only should be present in the Windows system folder as part of the OS. Overriding it with a DLL in the game folder will likely make vorpX stop working, hence you see the warning about that.

I haven’t tried Fallout 3 on Windows 10 yet myself, but if there is no other way to make the game work on Windows 10 than copying a d3d9.dll to the game folder, you may be out of luck in this case.

Foxpur
    Participant

Does VorpX have a dummy version of d3d9.dll that I could use instead? I have tried and tried and unless I run d3d9.dll I can’t start/load/continue… it just crashes…. And if I add in the d3d9.dll VorpX crashes….

So, we know where the problem lay, and I would think making a VorpX version of the d3d9.dll that allows it to have the needed settings but is custom for the Vorp would solve several games.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It might work despite the warning that is shown (depends on how exactly the d3d9.dll that you put into the Fallout 3 hooks the game), but if not, there is nothing that can be done.

Since such an override DLL almost certainly hooks some of the functions that vorpX needs to hook, there is no way to handle such a case in a controlled manner, hence the warning is shown. Under normal circumstances there should never be any system DLL override in a game directory.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!