Windows Defender blocking VorpX as virus

Homepage Forums Technical Support Windows Defender blocking VorpX as virus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diggory
    Participant

Hi There

I purchased VorpX recently to use with my Meta (Oculus) Quest 2, so I am a nooby user. However I am having trouble getting it to work without being blocked by Windows Defender. It seems to block it at different times, including while attempting to play a game, and sometimes immediately after installing. Windows Defender is not giving me a chance to give it an exclusion, its just immediately identifying it as a virus and deleting it, forcing me to reinstall. I have tried turning off Windows Defender’s app monitor but it has made no difference.

Below is the details Windows Defender gives for the “threat”:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Trojan:Win32/Bearfoos.B!ml

Alert Level: Severe
    Date: 24/11/2022 12:19
    Category: Trojan
    Details: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Affected Items:
    file D:\vorpX\vorpControl.exe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ralf
    Keymaster

Can’t replicate this with the latest Defender definitions (1.379.867.0) from today. Neither on Windows 10 nor on 11. Please try a manual Windows update check in the Windows settings app, that should download the latest Defender definition files.

If the issue still occurs afterwards, let me know.

To circumvent the issue it should suffice to exclude the vorpX program folder from Defender. Typically that would be C:\Program Files(x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX.

Diggory
    Participant

Either one of those things seems to have done the trick. I had updated my definitions previously but they were not at that exact version. So either there was a problem with a specific version in windows defender which is now gone, or the exclusion folder did the trick

Either way, thanks!

Keppet
    Participant

Funny enough i get the exact same threat on win10 and defender v.1.379.1025.0
    Started today. i excluded the folder for now…

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s extra weird. Just checked this on both 10 and 11 with that exact same definition version, but couldn’t replicate. Just a guess, but maybe you still had an older version of the definition files when the false positive detection occured and Windows updated it shortly after.

Keppet
    Participant

sry for late reply, i wasnt actively following this thread. i got the detection after updating to that version and before. so yea, might be something just being off… updated to v.1.379.1116.0 today and took the exclusion folder off and did a quick scan after witch i started vorpx configure -> All good now.

and thanks for the reply, and sry for the extra reading :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!