Windows Security Alert about VorpControl.exe

Homepage Forums Technical Support Windows Security Alert about VorpControl.exe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DonVorpXfan
    Participant

Just FYI about ‘Low’ threat, potentially unwanted behavior found by Windows Security (Win 11).

Windows reported the vorpControl.exe file had something called caypnamer.A!ml and it was quarantined.

I uninstalled VorpX as a result.

What’s the deal?

dbarciela
    Participant

Have the same issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a false positive. As usual… I’ll upload the file to MS for whitelisting. In the past they always were fairly quick when something like this happened. Fingers crossed.

Funny enough the issue only appears to occur on Windows 11. Win 10 (at least at this point) works fine for me despite having the same Defender definition version. Maybe some Win11 glitch.

To avoid issues like this altogether add the vorpX program folder to the Defender exclusion list. Usually that would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX

Ralf
    Keymaster

Brief update: As usual the Defender team was fairly quick looking into the matter, the reply though left me with as many questions as answers: Just like the Windows 10 Defender they didn’t detect anything malicious.

Leaves the question why on Windows 11 this issue occurs. Option 1: A Win 11 bug, option 2: they are trying out a new “feature” in Win 11. I hope for option 1, but will prepare for option 2 and try to find out what exactly it is that Win 11 considers “potentially unwated”.

Just to be clear: absolutely nothing that vorpX does is even close to being “potentially unwated”, malicious, harmful or anything else some AV program may come up with to frighten its users. All it does is injecting itself into other programs similar to many, many other programs, which obviously is necessary for vorpX to work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Update 2: I uploaded a new build, which at least for now also works again on Windows 11. Please reinstall using your web installer to get it. Let me know if Win 11 starts to complain again. Then it might be time to take a closer look.

Hammerschaedel
    Participant

heavy alarm now..

View post on imgur.com

Ralf
    Keymaster

No such problem here with the latest build. Please

1. Make sure your Defender definitions are up-to-date by running a manual Windows update check.
    2. Reinstall vorpX using your web installer to ensure you have the latest build

jossm97
    Participant

windows 11 and Windows Defender up to date.

Installed vorpx 1/9/22 with the new download link.

Windows Defender Alert:

Detected:PUA:Win32/Caypnamer.A!ml

file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX\vorpControl.exe

Ralf
    Keymaster

I uploaded a yet another build, which at least for now also works again on Windows 11. Please reinstall using your web installer to get it. Looks as if my earlier concern that this might be some new Windows 11 “feature” is correct… I’ll try to figure out the root cause.

Just to be clear: absolutely nothing that vorpX does is even close to being “potentially unwanted”, malicious, harmful or anything else some AV program may come up with to frighten its users. All it does is injecting itself into other programs similar to many, many other programs, which obviously is necessary for vorpX to work.

To avoid issues like this altogether add the vorpX program folder to the Defender exclusion list. Usually that would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX

jossm97
    Participant

Yes thanks. Adding exclusions is the best option to keep W Defender calm.
    It’s reporting many false positives recently…

Greetings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!