Witcher 3 Profile Update Hint

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Witcher 3 Profile Update Hint

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

The big Witcher 3 4.0 update is releasing today and – as expected – petty much completely breaks the Witcher 3 vorpX profile.

Since despite the game’s age this probably is one of the most interesting game releases this year for many, I have been working on enhancing the profile for a while now with a dedicated vorpX connection mod. Providing additional features like DirectVR (AFR) 3D and a custom camera. There are still a few things to iron out, but as I had hoped the mod works fine with the new update in general, so expect an updated vorpX together with a hugely enhanced Witcher 3 vorpX experience shortly.

Together with this comes a brand new update system specifically for profiles with game specific extra (mod) data, removing the need for full vorpX updates whenever a game update breaks connection mods. That will make handling special profiles like this one a lot easier for both me and you.

omicron4o
    Participant

Thank you for the special attention you are paying to the Witcher 3, can’t wait for the update :)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I was just popping in to mention that TW3 4.0 update is *beautiful* and that it definitely deserves special vorpX treatment. I can’t wait. Thank you!

Any chance it will include first-person functionality? That would be pretty difficult as the combat system is not designed for it. I ran for quite a while using the Gervant First Person mod, along with a hot-key thingy (don’t remember which) that allowed for slow-motion combat. It worked very well that way, especially with many of the ‘spinny’ attack animations disabled.

VRified Games
    Participant

this is great news, so its getting the cyberpunk, red dead, gta style treatment?

that is amazing news

sadly the new update broke the first person mod…..😢

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Gervant First Person has already been updated. Very early days, but good news!

(Bad news though: it looks to me as if DLSS 3.0 frame generation provides no depth buffer to generated frames, making it unsuitable for anything that tries to do stereoscopy. Ralf?)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I hope to try the Gervant first person update for Witcher 4.0 today. I’ll report back later if things work well.

BTW, I *think* that with full eye-candy and RT on this title actually runs a tiny bit worse than Cyberpunk 2077. I haven’t tested extensively yet, but that’s my impression so far.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

If we could edit posts longer it would be great. I could have appended this to the end of my previous post instead of multi-posting.

The Gervant First Person mod is indeed working with Witcher 3 NG. Good news and hopefully something that will be incorporated into the vorpX mod (or similar functionality). Still need to get slow-mo working, as the animations are too fast to be able to tell what is going on in First Person mode.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not sure yet whether I can get DX12 working before the update. If not, I’ll try again later. Looks like instead of natively updating the renderer to DX12 CDPR used Microsoft’s D3D11On12 DX11>DX12 wrapper and then implemented the DX12 exclusive features on top of that. That’s probably also the reason for performance being worse compared to Cyberpunk, should clearly be the other way around. Unfortunately this method is not only fairly ineffecient, but also clashes with hooking DX12.

Most improvements of the update are also available with DX11 luckily, pretty much the only important thing missing is raytracing, which istn’t really a good option anyway for VR because of the performance impact.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Oh bummer, hope you get dx12 working. It’s the RT that really makes this title shine, without it it is is not much different from the original release with texture mods and a handful of other mods. Turn on RT and *bam* it’s an entirely different world.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Mainly because they downgraded (made less visible) the raster shadows. I saw a video a few days ago where someone compared the prior version to the new one with and without raytracing. There was hardly any difference between the old version and the new one with raytracing, but a huge difference between new with/without raytracing. Whether they did that intentionally to make the difference more apparent is impossible to tell, but it’s a weird coincidence for sure…

Anyway, let’s hope it’s just a bug and gets fixed soon.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Brief update: takes a little longer than planned, but for good reason:

Witcher 3 (mod) scripts usually run entirely self contained within a sandbox, so I had to come up with a cute little hack to exchange data between vorpX and the mod script. Until yesterday this only worked one way (from vorpX to the script), but yesterday I finally had the missing idea how to make it work both ways. Yippie.

What does that mean for you? Instead of “just” having AFR3D, a custom camera and so on, the game will get the full package possible with extra mods, including automatic EdgePeek for cutscenes/menus and other game context sensitive stuff. That’s definitely worth a few days of extra work (for me) and extra wait (for you).

VRified Games
    Participant

fantastic news : )

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Very good news Ralf. Can’t wait to give it a try. Are you considering functionality that integrates with Gervant First Person mod? Or at the very least making sure you don’t preclude the use of it? It’s absolutely transformative. A PITA to get setup, but worth it.

Side note: RT performance is behaving very strangely for me in this title; when I turn it on it’s as if the engine just gives up and refuses to give me 60fps in complex scenes. Settings don’t overcome this issue. I can dial all the way down to 1080p and even use DLSS on top of that, and it will just sit there in complex scenes at about 58 fps with my 4090 running at low usage. Cyberpunk does not behave this way so I think it’s some sort of driver or game inefficiency with RT. It does this as soon as I turn RT on; just the “global RT” is enough to do it. It’s proving extremely problematic as I need to hit at least 60fps for sync.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!