X offset for "immersive" screen?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings X offset for "immersive" screen?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    R3volve
    Participant

Hi, I really love VorpX but there is just one issue that prevents me from being able to use the program.

I noticed that when I am playing skyrim (and probably other games too) when I am in the main non-cinema/cutscene mode (where HMD is zoomed into the screen so that you cannot see the borders) it does not zoom in centered. The crosshair is about 65% of the way up from the bottom rather than an even 50% from both top and bottom.

When I manually reduce the zoom for this mode, the bottom edge of the screen comes into view long before the top edge does.
    Its really annoying to constantly be “looking up” to try and see what I am aiming at.

Is there a way to adjust the X offset for the screen in this mode? I would love to physically lower the screen until it matches the center of my view.
    Crude Paint Depiction of Issue

Thanks.

R3volve
    Participant

I have no idea why I said X offset. I meant Y offset. To move the screen down.
    Brain fart.

Ralf
    Keymaster

While the view is indeed slightly asymmetrical on the y axis, the rendered image center is exactly in your view’s center as it should be. Both CV1 and Vive apparently use an asymmetrical view to optimize for human vision that is better at looking down than looking up, with the goal of spending more precious screen pixels for the more important lower image ‘half’.

Simply offsetting the image does not work as it moves the image center down and thus introduces distortion when the view rotates. This was actually done in the first CV1 release of vorpX, but thrown out again soon after due to said distortion.

Long story short: If you want to get rid of the small bottom border that is visible in some games, set the image zoom in the vorpX ingame menu to 1.0 and choose a slightly higher FOV. Doing it this way keeps the image center where it belongs and does not introduce distortion.

R3volve
    Participant

Thanks for the response Ralf.
    I did find a post you had said almost the same thing in a different thread about a similar issue.
    I tried turning the zoom up, but the cross hair still stays a good full head height above where my eyes naturally look forward.

I gather there is nothing I can do about this issue then?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that is the case, the headset has to be adjusted to sit even higher or lower on your face. If everything fits correctly, the image center (and thus the crosshair) should be at the same height as your eyes.

R3volve
    Participant

Ah ok, I’ll give that a shot. Maybe I just have a weirdly shaped face. I’ll ask my Fiancee.

Edit: she said “I don’t think so, you look like a white guy.”

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t think you need a weirdly shaped face for that, it’s probably a matter of one or two centimeters. Losening or tightening the head strap a little bit will most likely suffice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!