Z-Adaptive

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ghost75757
    Participant

in few games (Hitman 3, Evil Within 2) there is no G3D, only Z-Adaptive. If Z-Adaptive is selected, the slider 0-3 is not working at all, meaning there is no 3D strength change. is that normal with Z-Adaptive? If slider is on 0 or 3 , does not feel any different but clearly there is subtle 3D working, or should the strength slider on Z-Adaptive work?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Z-Adaptive means that the algorithm simulates certain aspects of human vision, most importantly it comes with auto focus. That has its advantages, e.g. usually less glitches where you look at, but also some disadvantages. Switch to Z-Normal instead if the Z-Adaptive mode produces not enough 3D for you, usually 3D looks more pronounced with Z-Normal.

Caveat: vorpX always tries to find a valid depth buffer for Z3D, but there is no guarantee that it actually can. There are almost certainly a whole bunch of 2D-only user profiles. All other functionality vorpX provides also works in 2D profiles, of course.

Smoils
    Participant

Ralf, I think this person is not very knowledgeable of terms, it looks like what he is saying is profiles for those games have only Z3D option but even with it the strength slider doesnt provide any actual 3d, essentially doesnt work.

I would recommend disabling all forms of antialiasing first, thats what prevents Z3D in most cases.

Ghost75757
    Participant

Well, thats the thing, If Vorpx game is run with Z3 Adaptive or Normal – the slider does not make much sense as its not working anyway, vorpx detects the 3d Depth buffer and creates the 3D that way, thats my level of understanding..

Z Normal projects a deeper 3D vs Adaptive Ive heard (have not verified it in the game but thats how it seems to be)

Did not know the tip about the Antialiasing that it needs to be off for 3D. thanks for that. will experiment with it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s not something you always have to do, but it can help sometimes. As a rule of thumb leave antialiasing on, only if you encounter a game where Z3D doesn’t work for you, try if switching it off makes a difference.

TheLastStarfighter
    Participant

Can’t play it unless its G3D. Never found a game with Z adaptive/other Z decent.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@TheLastStarfighter Z3D in-general has come a LONG way over the past five years or so. I also used to be absolutely unable to tolerate it in any title and could only use G3D. But vorpX and other solutions now offer some pretty good Z3D, sometimes extremely good. It is very game-engine dependent though. Definitely give it a try, and be willing to work a while with the settings. Title that come to mind off the top of my head that look fantastic in vorpX Z3D are Greedfall, Dragon Age Inquisition (and thus probably Mass Effect Andromeda, although I have not tried it yet), and The Witcher 3 with the first-person mod. Those titles are all excellent. (Witcher 3 could use a little more depth, but it’s OK, the other two have fantastic depth with surprisingly few Z3D artifacts.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!