3d Blu Rays and VorpX Tutorial

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings 3d Blu Rays and VorpX Tutorial

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Have to look into that. Normally copying over the profile shouldn‘t make the format options disappear. Can‘t really imagine what might cause this, but I‘ll check it out.

Laser
    Participant

After the latest update I can´t get vorpx hooked to madhcCtrl.exe, it tries to but never does, tested also hook helper and alternative method but those didn´t help. Well at least I am not accidentally deleting my video files after hitting delete key anymore. :)

Laser
    Participant

Failing to hook directly to madvr I tried the desktop mode again and found a solution to previous judder issues. I had to change headset sync to alternative fast mode and now the video plays smoothly! Tomorrow I will play with madvrs own settings if theres any room for improvement and I need to rip more 3d blurays. ;)

Laser
    Participant

Nah I don´t think the alternative fast mode made the difference since Im getting good results in other modes too. Maybe the direct openxr mode to vorpx helped the desktop viewer and playing videos? Moving the mouse cursor during videos causes major stutters so I need to wait a bit after each setting change in vorpx profile.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I understand that you want to use the mad video renderer, but that’s not really how vorpX is meant to work with MPC-HC. MPC-HC has a few lines of extra code specifically for vorpX that allows vorpX to grab the video before it is scaled when using the DX9 renderer that vorpX selects automatically, thus avoiding multiple scaling operations. Also I don’t think that mad vr’s framerate smoothing is of much use since it would smooth the framerate to 60fps (desktop refresh rate), but then there has to be another conversion to 90 when vorpX renders the image to the headset.

I never tried the mad vr method you use, but considering that with the normal MPC-HC hook you get the least possible number of scaling operations and only one framerate conversion (movie frame rate to headset refresh rate), I’d consider it unlikely that the mad video renderer is in any way better than the normal vorpX MPC-HC hook.

Laser
    Participant

I would be happy to just use MPC-HC but the way the 3D blu-rays are ripped in frame packed 3d-format it doesn´t work just with MPC-HC alone. Madvr is needed to display the side by side image for vorpx.

But with vorpx desktop viewer I can get it running now, not the optimal solution but it works.

I don´t know what changed after the update, like I said before I could hook the madvr.exe but then I didn´t have the option to change video formats.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Got it. No promises, but I’ll check whether supporting frame packed 3D can be added whithout too much hassle. Just to make sure we talk about the same thing: by frame packed you mean the over/under format with a few pixels in between that e.g. projector vendors etc call frame packed? Like described here: https://avgadgets.com/3d-formats-primer/

Laser
    Participant

Yes.
    Thanks for looking in to it. I know this is a niche within a niche, so not many people will even need this feature but if it is an “easy” feature to add then that is one more checkbox for vorpx features.

In the meantime im trying currently another app called dvdfab that can output sbs video from 3d-blurays. Not a free program and actually quite expensive but the trial version lets you rip 3 discs for free so for fun Im trying this out.

Laser
    Participant

Free option for converting frame packed MKV´s to SBS videos.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/BD3D2MK3D
    This isn´t a quick conversion and a fast processor helps, and if you have the settings dialed down you only need to do it once.

rishp
    Participant

You should try MPC-BE (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/), it has native h.264 MVC-3D support (3D Blu Ray standard) using the Intel Media SDK. Clone the MPC-HC VorpX profile for MPC-BE to make use of the native Vorpx hook instead of using desktop viewer. Downside is you are limited to EVR (MadVR is far superior for image quality once you tweak it).

FYI – I also use SVP (https://www.svp-team.com/) to interpolate video playback from 23.976hz to 90hz for smooth motion playback for my Index HMD.

I love watching 3D Blu Rays using Vorpx + HMD so more support for it is much appreciated Ralf.

Laser
    Participant

Thanks rishp, I tried playing around with it but can´t get the proper 3D format out of it.
    https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4163
    I tried these steps but none of the 3d output options produce over/under or sbs video for vorpx?

Also if I run mpc-be with vorpx svp doesn´t hook to the video? But if I understand you correctly you don´t need SVP for the 3D, only for framerate conversion?

Also in the process, I managed somehow to mess up my vorpx configuration file so I need to install it again. :p

rishp
    Participant

Not sure what advise I could give that would help. That SVP forum guide is what I followed worked for me.

Correct, SVP is only for frame conversion and not required to get 3D playback working. SVP eliminates the juddering observed mainly from camera panning scenes. HMDs make judder appear worse.

MetaMind09
    Participant

I used mpc-be with “enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)” as videorenderer and hat no problems playing 3D Blueray in full over/under 3d format.
    But for some reason it does not work anymore despite having changed anything to MPC-BE settings etc.
    If Vorpx hooker is disabled and run mpc-be and open the dvd everything looks fine and the video is correctly shown in full over/under but when vorpx hooker is active and I try to open the dvd it only shows the top view (over) and also just 1/2 of it (zoomed in). Inside my headset everything looks like kind of low resolution (vorpx headset menue) and the the image is totally messed up (like using side by side format for a over/under video).
    Did the recent Vorpx update break mpc-be? @Ralf
    Does anyone else run into these issues?
    Plz help!

ToxicMike
    Participant

I would love to watch 3D-blu-rays via vorpX/VR-Goggles but sadly 3d-home entertainment is dead so i don´t see any point in using it after all.

Or are there any rumours about the industry bringing 3D back from the dead yet?

MetaMind09
    Participant

Fixed it:

For some reason the MVC 3D decoder wasnt activated/checked in the mpc-be options–> internal filters.
    Also I had to go fullscreen mode to allign the picture inside hmd correctly. Now its all workin fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!