3D Geometric – unable to increase perfomance.

Homepage Forums Technical Support 3D Geometric – unable to increase perfomance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    panterarosa2
    Participant

Hi.
    I am grateful with the program, Z or normal buffer have good perfomance.
    However, 3D Geometric is the one I love and I want to use. But it seems to be locked, unable to offer perfomance enough, no matter how powerful the PC is.

I thought I needed more power from a 2070 super so I bought a 3080.
    I asked you why I did not get better perfomance after this upgrade. You said is because its needs cpu more than GPU, rather single core perfomance than multicore. So you “made” me upgrade from ryzen 3600 to 5800X, whih is more powerful at single/multicore and cost double the price.

The result is I get the same performance as 5800x + 3080 as 3600 + 2070S. So the upgrade was pointless. And basically I reach the point that I cannot have much better components.

Therefore 3D Geometric perfomance is on the developer side more than the components side. There is no way to increase the performance as far as I know and I consider is too low.

As I said on previous post, these are the results. Even after the upgrade, nothing changed, which is dissapointing.

Resident evil 2 – 960p – MSAA – everything as minimal/OFF except textures/mesh (high) – unstable 90fps. 720p – almost stable 90fps.

Resident evil 7 MSAA – everything minimal/off -except textures/mesh (high)
    1080 – stable 90 fps. 2K – almost stable 90 fps. On the garden the performance drops to 60fps-70fps.

Much better performance on RE7, maybe because as first person there are less objects on the FOV, but still not good taking in mind the upgade did not have any impact on the perfomance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you sure that there is no difference at all? You can’t expect wonders when you upgrade from a fairly new CPU to a brand new CPU, but there should be some difference in your case under normal circimstances.

CPU performance in most games hinges on the main render thread once you have more than 4 or 6 cores available, so what counts most for gaming is the increase in single core performance, not the number of cores. The Ryzen 5 series is about 15% better in that respect than Ryzen 3. That’s about the performance increase you should see in a fairly heavily CPU bound game as RE2 is with G3D. No more, no less.

Unfortunately CPU single core performance isn’t increasing in large strides anymore for many years now. The modest 15% between Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 are actually a fairly huge step as far as differences between two consecutive CPU generations are concerned.

Ogrescar
    Participant

The single core performance increase should be 25-50%, if you believe the benchmarks. The 5800X is a Ryzen 7 series, not Ryzen 5, but it’s single core performance is only about 3-6% over the Ryzen 5 5600X – so for gaming, the 5800X is kind of overkill.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I stand corrected, didn’t check the actual CPUs, my bad. The 15% where just what I remembered as the general increase from the last to the current Ryzen generation at the same clock speed.

50% is way too much though. The usual CPU comparison websites say something slightly below 25% for comparing both CPU’s raw single core performance as measured by benchmarks, translating to anything from 5% to 25% in games. So although based on a completely unprecise foundation, the 15% incidentally aren’t that bad as a simplified average for games. ;)

Ogrescar
    Participant

The clock speed increase is only about 15%, which is why I stated “if you believe the benchmarks”. The UserBenchmark single-core score and the cinebench single-core scores on nanoreview.net show 50-55% increase. Maybe it’s the zen3 architecture – I haven’t been able to figure that out.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Slightly odd discussion, but I think we are talking about games here, where the 15% percent are a fairly good estimate of what to expect on average. For the sake of not confusing the OP or anyone else who reads this any further, please leave out a single special case that has nothing to do with games at all.

Ogrescar
    Participant

My apologies. I was recently researching a cpu upgrade for myself – didn’t mean to confuse.

panterarosa2
    Participant

Well. The point is that I have almost perfect CPU + GPU and I am just able to play at 720p using geometric on 3rd person games.

I have tried FFXV , I got 60fps at 720p. Therefore unplayable. I do not know which other 3rd person game I can try.

So is something wrong or G3D just supposed to work with very very few games or just first person games?

Comparing FFXV and RE2 , resident evil 7 runs with amazing perfomance.

Also returning my 5800X is pointless… I did not get better perfomance. Maybe just a bit (10% more resolution maybe?) but as I said, is not like I could play those games better using G3D with this new cpu.

Ralf
    Keymaster

G3D essentially doubles the load on a game‘s main render thread since everything has to be drawn twice. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depends on the game engine. RE2/3 are pretty much the worst games I recall recently in that respect BTW. You probably can go higher with the resolution. If a game is CPU limited, there usually is room for that since resolution mostly affects the GPU. In a CPU bound scenario primarily lower settings that affect the general render workload: draw distance, NPC/vehicle density, stuff like that.

60fps are by no means unplayable. The way vorpX works, you are still perfectly good at half the headset refresh rate (typically 45), and even below. If a game doesn‘t render at the full headset refresh rate, artificial frames are created in between either by vorpX or the headset runtimes.

In Immersive/Cinema mode even occasional dips to 20 are tolerable. for FullVR mode things depend a bit on how prone to motion sickness you are. 30-40fps, although not ideal, should still work for almost everyone, below 30fps things start to become really sluggish in FullVR mode, so that should clearly be avoided.

panterarosa2
    Participant

This is all the support and all you can say after my reply?

I play as inmersive mode on 3rd person games.

I said FFXV also works at 60fps at 720p. 720P 60FPS!!! having a rocket PC. Not to mention 720P looks horrible to consider playing it.

No, I cannot go higher resolution. 1080p means 30fps on ffxv , 45-55 fps on re2.

All the settings are minimal. I played RE7 at 1080 110% at 90fps (but as full vr)

SO, is G3D supposed to offer this performance or something is wrong? As I said. RE7 offers much more performance compared to RE2 or FFXV.

Ralf
    Keymaster

like I Said, G3D doubles the workload compared to playing a game on your monitor since everything has to drawn twice (once for each eye). That alone cuts the framerate in half, depending on the game engine sometimes even more. On top of that there is a small additional overhead for rendering to the headset.

Expecting to run recent AAA games with G3D at 90fps is just unrealistic, regardless of the PC you have. You have to decide whether you want G3D at the price of roughly 50% of your FPS compared to playing in 2D, or less realistic but much faster Z3D.

Shoot for 45fps with G3D in newer and thus demanding games. G3D and 90fps are only realistic for older games.

panterarosa2
    Participant

Well, is not unrealistic… as I said RE7 works enough to be playable. I was hoping other games to work in a similar performance.

So basically 60fps 720p, could be considered as normal for some games. Ok.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It all depends on the game, the one you picked as an example above (RE2) is a pretty bad candidate. For newer games the impact may be heavy, older, less resource hungry, games on the other hand may run perfectly well at for example 1440p/90fps with your rig. That‘s just the nature of the beast, rendering everything twice like G3D does obviously costs a lot of performance. There‘s a reason why the typical native VR game doesn‘t look like the latest and greatest AAA title.

You can‘t have it both ways, it‘s either (almost) the 2D framerate with Z3D, or accepting the performance impact of rendering everything twice with G3D.

Like said above, aim at something like 45fps for newer, more resource hungry games with G3D. vorpX is designed to work perfectly well that way.

steph12
    Participant

op did you try to disable fluidsync, and uncap fps in the games who allow it ?

panterarosa2
    Participant

Yes, i did. I also disabled crystal image.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!