3D TV setup Troubleshooting

Homepage Forums Technical Support 3D TV setup Troubleshooting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ANENEMY
    Participant

I am having an issue getting Vorpx to display 3D signal on my Panasonic 3D TV.

I read some posts on this forum of people using Vorpx to play games on their 3dtv’s. Those posts are now years old, and I’m likely in minority of people still using one. But, I’ve got a 1080p 3d with great image quality so I wanted to see if I could get it up and running with Vorpx.

I selected Generic 3dtv in Devices, and tried both “use windows default” or selecting my tv directly, but when hooking into 3 different games (Left4Dead2, Black Mesa, Portal 2) all I get is a black screen with a diagonal shader across the entire screen. I CAN see the Vorpx version number watermark in lower left of screen and I can hear the game running, but the image isn’t showing up properly on screen.

The few videos available referencing use of Vorpx with a 3DTV already show the game hooked in and running in SBS (side-by-side image) 3D format… I’m not getting even that far.

Also of note, the Del key to show Vorpx menu does not appear with the screen blacked out like that.

Can anyone advise on why I maybe running into this issue?

ANENEMY
    Participant

System: AMD 3600x, AMD 5600XT, 16gb, W10

ANENEMY
    Participant

I noticed all the games I was trying to load were Source Engine, so I just tested a couple EA games. First I tried Dead Space but it had same problem as the others I tried (Can hear audio and see Vorpx version, but TV screen is basically blacked out with a diagonal line running across screen; almost looks like a giant shader covering the screen).

A Youtube video showed someone playing Need for Speed with Vorpx. I had N4S Hot Pursuit Remastered in my library so I installed it and low and behold – perfect 3D via Vorpx! So I was able to confirm it working in at least one game for me.

I understand that Vorpx wasn’t designed for this purpose, but I’m puzzled on reason for the black screen on the other mentioned games.

I am now wondering if this may be a DX9 issue? I’ll try again tomorrow

petey53
    Participant

I use Vorpx just for the 3d on my 3d projector and it works really well on most games, some games I had to make my own profiles for though, by using other ready made ones that I know use the same engine,I got every game working eventually by doing this… the only time I had a similar issue to the one you described was when I accidentally chose a different resolution to 1080p and the screen went all funny a bit like you said… that’s all I can think of really, never had any issues since.. I hope you get it fixed because Vorpx has been a god send for me, playing almost all my games in stereoscopic 3d is awesome.

petey53
    Participant

You might need to try some other profiles for the game you are trying, if you search in the cloud profiles for the game you want, you should find different profiles pop up that might work… you will need to remove the exe from the local profile for it to work though, I had to do that with a few games.

ANENEMY
    Participant

@petey53 Thanks for your ideas; I will try some other profiles tonight to see if it changes anything. admittedly, I am in my first week of using Vorpx so I’m still learning how everything interacts. I haven’t tried making any profiles yet, (or removing .exe’s?) but I will look into how to do it.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I do exactly what you are doing with vorpX all the time. I will switch back and forth from my 3D Display or to my HMD, depending on my mood or the particular game (it’s a *LOT* easier to push the number of pixels I need to make my 3D Display sharp, as compared to my HMD, so the 3D Display works better for extremely demanding titles.)

I’ve never had a single title work on my HMD and NOT on my 3D Display, so yes, something most is wrong somewhere in your setup (I can’t be completely sure, as I’m using vorpX for none of the titles you specifically mentioned.) vorpX offers only 2 generic 3D Display modes; SBS and Red/Green. Try resetting the vorpX profile to the default settings on one of the problem games.

Another issue that comes to mind is that possibly these games are trying to use a G3D profile; having a single eye go completely black is a common issue with G3D profiles that aren’t actually working properly for a title. If you can bring up the vorpX menu in-game, try changing the 3D type and see if that helps.

General tip: On both of the 3D displays I have used in the past I’ve found that running Super Sampling resolutions dramatically improves image quality. So on your 1080p projector, once you have other things working correctly, try pushing a 4K image instead (use the AMD Virtual Resolution – I thin that’s what AMD calls that function.)

ANENEMY
    Participant

Thank you for the additional tips. Still trying to figure out why some games aren’t displaying properly. So far Need4Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered and Batman Arkham Origins worked first try.

Dead Space, Alan Wake, Black Mesa, Left4Dead2, Portal 2 all have Black screen on hook-in. I’ve tried numerous profiles (official Vorpx and users’) to no avail. Even though the Vorpx version number appears, the del key doesn’t let me see the Vorpx-menu.

I’ll also say, only Left4Dead2 & Black Mesa appear in my “restore” profile settings section of the Vorpx configuration window, even though I have run all these games already. Is that odd behavior or do some profiles get stored somewhere else? Do I need to do anything manually if I’m importing multiple profiles for the same game? (Or do they just automatically overwrite the last applied?)

I appreciate any assistance though! Forgive my noob questions.. I’ve been tinkering but I only a couple hours a night, late. Hopefully I’ll be playing *something* by Halloween

Ralf
    Keymaster

The games that are working for you use DirectX11, the ones that don’t DX9, with the exception of Alan Wake. Sounds as if something might be running in the background that causes a conflict for DX9/10 games. A lot of programs also hook into games like vorpX and may cause issues like that. The trouble shooting guide on top of this sub forum has more details on that matter. Best way to trouble shoot this is exiting *everything* running in the background.

In case you have multiple monitors also please check whether the same issue occurs while you only have one monitor connected. If it works that way mirroring the primary monitor instead of extending it might help. vorpX can try to force games to a specific monitor, but that might not work as expected under all circumstances.

ANENEMY
    Participant

Thank you for additional troubleshooting @Ralf. Still testing, no progress on those specific games. I think you are on to something regarding DX versions, I just don’t know what could be causing it!? I have made the following adjustments, issue persists. Full reboots were done between each step.

1. I did have a 2nd monitor connected but it was off and not detected by computer. I disconnected it physically anyway, no change to issue.

2. I had 3 desktop programs installed (DisplayFusion, Stardock Start10, and Stardock Fences), I uninstalled all 3 programs, though, I have no idea if these programs actually interacted with DirectX or Vorpx in any manner. No change to issue.

3. Launched Task Manager as admin. Though I don’t know every process running, I could not identify any suspicious apps running in background, outside of necessary. (i.e. The Game ‘Dead Space’ has Game’s .exe, EA App, Vorpx. I believe nothing else of note other than Radeon Software, which has all overlays and recording options disabled.) No change to issue.

Next I will try to reinstall the DX runtimes and tweak some profiles in HMD that aren’t working on 3dTv. I will continue to test (I usually only have a couple hours at a time, sporadically through the week). There probably *is* a conflict I’ve not yet discovered… or it’s a driver issue or something?

I likely will end up just taking it as is, if I can’t find a solution in near term. I did buy Vorpx for my Rift-s rig after all! It just would have been nice to have all my games with both options (HMD+3DTV) for nights when I don’t have the extra time to get the HMD out.

ANENEMY
    Participant

also, Windows Defender is the only AV on my set up, I will see if I can add an exception for Vorpx, even though I have not had any system prompts. Is it Necessary for me to run Vorpx or any of my games as administrator for proper functionality?

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX only needs to run as admin for games that require admin rights. Usually that’s only true for older games. Do not run vorpX as admin unless necessary.

FrankHorigan
    Participant

I have same problem too. Every DX9 game dont work, only black screen and graphics glitch.
    Ralf, I sent you several screens of my TV.
    Problem is AMD RDNA1/2 card with DX9 game.

Here is thread: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/all-dx9-games-dont-work/

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t really have the time/resources to officially support 3D-displays, hence the according hint whenever you start the game. I do what i can to help, but as far as trouble shooting more weird issues is concerned, I can’t really help much. Sorry.

If you have both a TV and a monitor connected to your PC, try with only the TV. While vorpX can try to force games to a specific display there is no guarantee it actually can, so multi-monitor setups of any kind may not work under all circumstances.

FrankHorigan
    Participant

It is nor problem of the TV/monitor. SBS is really 2D screen, 3D need activete manually.

Ok Ralf, I now it. Rules is rules.
    I have a lot of DX11 games when VorpX work good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!